Kit reviews

Topic author
43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Tameo Ferrari 248F1 (full detail) review

Post by 43rdMichael »

Hi all,

I received Tameo's latest release in the mail yesterday and after exploring the contents of the box, felt compelled to write a review.

Firstly, to be clear, this is an 'in box' review. I haven't started to build the kit yet, and indeed haven't even completed one of the curbside versions of the F248, so I'll need to get back to you on how it builds up...

Anyway, back to the model. TMK 363 represents the Ferrari 248F1 as it raced at the Chinese Grand Prix of 2006. This was of course Michael Schumacher's last win in formula 1 and Tameo have decided to mark this occasion with a full detail 1/43 kit.

This kit builds into a model of the 248 with the engine cover off and two spare nose cones are included to display separately. Importantly, the kit is not designed for the engine cover to be fitted over the engine. As modern engine covers conform to the mechanical parts of the car so closely, in 1/43, an engine cover would need to be thinner than a layer of paint to be accurate. It is probably possible to shave the parts slightly and eventually fit everything together, but this is not the intention of the designer.

So enough introduction, what's in the box???

In summary, there are:
- major white metal parts for the monocoque, engine cover and undertray
- approximately 50 other white metal parts of various sizes
- turned parts for wheel rims, brake hubs and a couple of other detail parts
- several photoetch frets, including a number that are pre-formed with required curves
- rubber tires with pre-printed logos
- a neat little chrome sticker for the rear brake light
- clear sheet for the wind shield
- a complete decal sheet, including all carbon fibre decals (pre cut) and various marking options for both drivers
- Tameo's usual, clear and informative instruction sheet, including many (exterior) reference photos of the real car.

Stepping through some of the parts in more detail, we'll start with the body parts.

The body shape is based on data provided by Ferrari as part fo the licensing agreement and certainly looks to be spot on. There is some flash around the mould part lines, but this would be easy to remove. Overall, this is a very impressive casting.

Similarly, the gearbox is supplied as a single casting, including the lower rear wing elements and the track rods with uprights attached. Clearly the intention here is to allow modellers to simply spray this part semi-gloss balck and glue it to the undertray, ensuring an accurate ride height and perfect symetry through the rear suspension. This part will look stunning covered in carbon decal and with all the minor detail parts attached. The rear suspension parts which build onto this are awesome and a significant improvement on the layout used on Tameo's F2004.

The key components of the engine are shown in the photo below. As with all these pictures, this is exactly as they came out of the box. For illustrative purposes, I have sat the airbox and the upper and lower parts of the engine together for this picture.

Some more of the larger white metal parts are shown in the next picture. All are well cast and highly detailed.

Its also worth highlighting the pre-formed photoetch parts. These include the wheel centres, the rear wing end plates and other aero parts. This a wonderful technique that Tameo has started using in some kits and the parts will look very good on the model.

Finally, I felt it was worth highlighting the tires in this kit. I didn't cut open the bag as i want to keep these clean until they are needed, but suffice to say these tires are totally new and a nice improvement on previous models. The logos are well printed and the rubber on the side walls is extremely smooth. Most interestingly, the tires appear to come 'pre-sanded', with no visible mould separation line on the tread. This is most impressive.

So the verdict?

Well, its hard to know how to explain this... TMK 363 is simply sublime. Everytime I feel that Tameo has 'maxed-out' on product development, they find new ways to push the product forward. This kit is absolutely awesome.

If I had to pick a fault with this kit, it would be that some of the white metal parts have a bit of flash around them. While I'm not an expert on casting by any stretch, it seems this may be related to a shift in casting techniques about 2 or 3 years ago. While the flash on the kits increased a little, the detail and complexity of the parts cast increased markedly. I for one, think this is a reasonable trade-off, but it is the one area of the kit that could be improved.

The comments above need to be seen on context. This is a kit that I would recommend to anyone. It is very highly detailed, but has been engineered in a way that will allow it to be built as simply as possible, straight from box, yet with wonderful cast detail and limitless potential for super-detailing, it should appeal to modellers right across the spectrum.

Bravo Tameo!!!

Feel free to post any questions etc.?

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

RE: Tameo Ferrari 248F1 (full detail) review

Post by daniel »

sweet, I wont one..how much is that kit.

But I don't like the gerabox and all the other "rear" parts moulded into one piece. I prefer seperate pieces for easier and more accurate painter, but the rest looks nice.
Driver figure included ??

daniekl
-germany-

P.S. thanks for the review and photos

Topic author
43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

No problem Daniel.

Price of the kit can vary with dealers, but it should be about US$120 - US$130 (plus any local taxes?).

In some ways I agree with you on the gearbox. I may separate some of the part for painting. Not sure. On balance, I think that if simplifing the assembly encourages more modellers to try the kit, then that's a good thing. Each to their own...

No driver figure is included. Since around 1997-8, no Tameo kit has included a driver figure. I understand that it is related to the additional licensing requirements associated with helmet designs. I would expect that a Denizen figure could be used if you wanted a driver?

Best regards,
michael

Topic author
43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

One further photo (all white metal parts - exc. the body, engine cover and undertray) that I forgot to include in the earlier post. Sorry.

Gooch
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Dave Sans
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by Gooch »

Awesome looking kit thanks for sharing must put it on my wish list
Regards,
Dave

Mr.Grumpy
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jacques Villeneuve
Canada

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

michael, thanks for the great review.

i've just started the R26 silverline kit and it looks similar in quality. i would suggest that you can't possibly know how good these kits are until you start building them. not only have tameo upgraded the parts themselves but they have also upgraded the engineering on how the kit is built. the improvemnets in the R26 kit are huge over kits from even a year ago - - and i thought they were good.

i'm building a 1/20 studio 27 kit at the same time and the comparison is laughable.

Manu
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by Manu »

Sure building a tameo after a st27 is like a building a Tamiya, no fitment problem etc....amazing to see that between the first release of the F248 I've done and this one, things have changed. i love the pre shaped PE parts, the metal casting is really nice. Pre printed tyres wow....too bad I already got one otherwise i wuld have done it.
Thanks for the review !!!!!!!!

MANU

------------ next : Lexus SC430, Prost AP04, Panoz Sebring anf F50 GT.....----------------------

Romanee-Conti
F2
F2

Post by Romanee-Conti »

by the way - very cool kit. I´m still waiting on mine. Will arrange it on a carbon fibre plate - together with the Brasilian GP Car. And Tameos Quality is still awesome. The kits are the most valuable in the hole segment of 43rd kits. To the S27 comments, I´ll only agree. My current project is the Chrome MP4/21 - horrible. You have to drill out most of the lines and rescratch them. The chimneys are wrong, too - next scratchbuilding... I think I´ll post some progress soon.

By the way - any tips for crisp and fine M@r!b*r* decals in 43rd scale for the 2006 and 2007 car ??

Regards, RomaneeConti.

Manu
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by Manu »

for the 2006 I used a sheet for the 2005, matches pretty well.
For 2007.... only i 1/20

PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Post by PJE »

Darn, no rain tires! :(
Thanks for the great preview Michael. Will you be able to decal this model as it was raced in China? :wink:

Paul Erlendson