René and Gilles 1979

Area to upload images, movies, etc. of real world F1 cars.

Topic author
roly01
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

René and Gilles 1979

Post by roly01 »

Hi all,

I just found this text at an other forum.
Quit interesting, and if it is true, even more interesting.
It is obviously not me writng this text 8) , but a third person.

Hi, I interviewed René Arnoux recently about Dijon 1979 and other subjects. He told me something very interesting about what happens two weeks after his famous fight with Gilles Villeneuve.

Here is his comment (interview was in french, so translation is mine) :

« We were in Silverstone for the British Grand Prix. On Sunday, after the warm-up session, the speaker told that Gilles and I were requested by the Race director. So we went to the building wondering what hell we could have done during the session. We were very relax. When we saw the race director, he said : « personally, I have nothing to express but six men are waiting for you in this room ». We came in and faced five or six other drivers, like pupils in front of a disciplinary committee ! One of them talked for the others and said that what Gilles and I did in Dijon was dangerous and a bad thing for Formula 1 !
Gilles replied : « If, one day, I have the opportunity to do it again, no doubt : I will do it again exactly the same way ! ». And I replied to the spokesman : « if the fight was against you, no doubt : I would have definitely finished second because you would have saved the points of the third place instead of taking any risk for the second ! » We laughed and get out ! »

René doesn’t want to let out the name of the drivers. I’m sure that the spokesman was Niki Lauda. I know that Regazzoni was part of the story, even in a dilettante manner. But what about the others ?
Is someone have informations about that ?

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

RE: René and Gilles 1979

Post by JamesB »

I have no info, first time I hear it. But Schekter was also involved in safety issues. Then just take a look at who pointed Patrese guilty after Monza 78 and probably you'll have an idea!
Jjsut a test
Attachments
ss.jpg