Toyota TF102 Revell 1/24

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
GF-F1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ligier
France

Toyota TF102 Revell 1/24

Post by GF-F1 »

Hi all,

Here is a quick WIP about this kit that I just finished, started in 2004 I think, it almost passes under a hammer several times, especially because of the red decals which gone in small pieces when I was trying to apply those. I dated the different phases of assembly of the kit using the photos.

I get out of the box again in 2018, first work on the much too wide nose, the strange front suspension, the rear cover around the suspension arms and the air inlets of the sidepods unclosed in their lower areas.

I created two rails on the chassis to be sure to fix everything correctly during final assembly, I also replaced the wheels with homemade resins.

Then at the end of 2020 painting and masking.

February 2024, here began the problems with the decals, after 20 years, some red decals went into small pieces, also the red I chose to paint did not match the red of the decals.

Fortunately, I scanned the decals before, but the red on the print was too dark and I couldn't find a good solution to lighten it.

So I printed in pink and applied two coats of Humbrol 19 with a brush, the same for the bodywork, one coat with a brush of Humbrol 19 to be sure that the red was the same.

Same process for a Vella and Esso decal.

finishing and making the belts with pharmacy tape.

Final assembly in progress, the brake discs and callipers are also homemade as well as the camera.

Cheers

Franck
www.gf-models.eu

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Re: Toyota TF102 Revell 1/24

Post by Dede »

Amazing work and details as usual from you Franck, I always enjoy seeing the processes you go through improving kits, this is no exception.
Very well finished.
Dede.

Topic author
GF-F1
Team Owner
Team Owner
France

Post by GF-F1 »

Thanks a lot Dede, I appreciate.
this time with the red decal challenge I was close to give up, I tried to explain how I finally managed it, I don't know if easy to understand with the pictures, but I'm happy to read your comment.

Cheers

Franck
www.gf-models.eu

smirkoff
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by smirkoff »

Wonderful work!! Those Revell kits are always a challenge for us modellers, aren't they?

martinpesce
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by martinpesce »

Hi Franck, congratulations on an amazing job and result! I always feel tempted to have (another) go at Revell kits when I see what you manage to get out of it, but this time I already went through the same experience with cracking (literally, not metaphorically) decals and unmatching paint colours. Your Toyota looks a lot cooler though, and the custom wheels are a great addition!

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

They are tricky kits but build up quite nice. I love the changes you did to the nose.

Topic author
GF-F1
Team Owner
Team Owner
France

Post by GF-F1 »

smirkoff wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:24 pm Wonderful work!! Those Revell kits are always a challenge for us modellers, aren't they?
thank you, Definitively challenging, but at the end you can have a model that nobody else produce, Marco Saupe did some very good built of Revell F1 here to this forum.
martinpesce wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:42 pm Hi Franck, congratulations on an amazing job and result! I always feel tempted to have (another) go at Revell kits when I see what you manage to get out of it, but this time I already went through the same experience with cracking (literally, not metaphorically) decals and unmatching paint colours. Your Toyota looks a lot cooler though, and the custom wheels are a great addition!
Thank you, You are right, the front wheels were too narrow and all the rims seemed too thick, so even though my rims aren't 100% accurate, yes I thought they were pretty decent.
Shunter wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:22 pm They are tricky kits but build up quite nice. I love the changes you did to the nose.
thank you I think is the main thing to modify to this kit with the wheels to get closer to the real TF102.

Cheers

Franck
www.gf-models.eu

Belugawrx
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Belugawrx
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Wolf Williams Lotus
Canada

Post by Belugawrx »

Very nice improvements !!!
Bruce Coy

Ronnux
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Netherlands

Post by Ronnux »

Great job on improving this kit!

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Thanks for posting, it's always interesting to see what has been done to improve the kit.
I have an EJ10 thats been gradually worked on with simillar improvements for about 10 years!
Malc.