Bad fit McLaren MP4/6 (Fujimi 1/20) anyone?

Ask away....

Topic author
Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Bad fit McLaren MP4/6 (Fujimi 1/20) anyone?

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Hello all

I am trying to finish what it was supposed to be a OOB, the MP 4/6 San Marino GP. All well until I tried to get the cowling down with the monocoque already assembled. The gap between the floor and sidepods is quite big, and because I have never read anything about this issue on other forums, I am wondering if I am the only one to have this.
BIG GAP HERE!
BIG GAP HERE!
I have stripped the monocoque of the sidepods for radiator, any cable etc, so it is the bare chassis...still when I assemble it there seems to be an interference somewhere, in the areas I have highlighted in yellow:
Interference 2.JPG
Interference.JPG
I have even used a Dremel-like tool to take away as much material as possible from the inside of the cowling in the areas I thought there's interference with the chassis, but still not much improvement!
Now I will find a way to fix the cowling to the bottom, maybe with some screws or rivets, surely it is likely to be semi-permanent because I want it to look good with the cowling on.
Just curious to know if anyone ran into such thing before?

Thanks
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: Bad fit McLaren MP4/6 (Fujimi 1/20) anyone?

Post by daveyman »

Good to see you on here again. I gave up trying to have removable cowlings ages ago. If I like the car clothed I make it curbside with cowling secured. If I like the mechanical aspect, cowl off and displayed alongside the chassis. Sometimes I'll buy two kits and make one of each.
I know that's not helping you now tho.

Topic author
Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

daveyman wrote:... Sometimes I'll buy two kits and make one of each.
I know that's not helping you now tho.
Thanks Davey, that's a kind of relief then to hear this, meaning that is what I will do from now on too. Starting from the MP4/6, because I have two in my stash, one will have the cowling on, another off with more detailed parts. Still, I thought even in the first case the cowling could just fit normally without adding screws or even worse, glue! But if the fit is so bad then I will have no choice, will screw the parts together in order to have a good fit.

Will show the result in the "completed" section later on, my builds have slowed down enormously because the little kid is taking up most of my time. Funny though how everyday I need to pick him up because he wants to look (=he wants to grab and play) with my models displayed in the cabinet!
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

kimi_8
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Paul
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Leclerc
Great Britain

Post by kimi_8 »

wasnt this the model that had uprights on the front that were too long and needed trimming down? cant remember now

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Yes, I remember seeing that and the correction done by someone on here.
When I built mine I can't say I noticed the problem but it's certainly worth checking out.

turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

Same issues with my Fujimi 97T.
Cowling won’t fit nicely over the chassis. Such a frustrating thing.
I think the solution is to sand the back of the cowling to almost paper thin thickness.
Then it’s easy for a magnet or small amounts of tack putty on the locating dowels to hold it in place.

Topic author
Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

kimi_8 wrote:wasnt this the model that had uprights on the front that were too long and needed trimming down? cant remember now
Yes it was Ron who posted on here how to solve the problem. I don't know if that issue is on every version of the MP4/6, mine is the San Marino GP, but anyway, tonight I am supposed to fix the wheels and see if the front ride height is correct or not.
Last edited by Corpsegrinder on Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shiiya
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Shiiya
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams and Piquet
Brazil

Post by Shiiya »

Yes , I´ve just saw mine and yes it is the same gap , I did my mp4/6 a long time ago and I forgot that issue Fujimi´s kit doesn´t fit well

Shiiya

Topic author
Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Shiiya wrote:Yes , I´ve just saw mine and yes it is the same gap , I did my mp4/6 a long time ago and I forgot that issue Fujimi´s kit doesn´t fit well

Shiiya
Thanks for letting me know. I was afraid I messed up in the monocoque assembly, but it seems others have the same problem. Will think of a way to minimize this problem!
Thanks everyone!

Spiry
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Spiry »

The same problem with Ferrari F190...