f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

ESPN's Coverage.

Post by f1m »

Ok, I can accept that there was an issue with the pre-race show.  ESPN couldn't help that.And I admit it never occured to me that ESPN would break away for commercials.  But it should have occurred to them and that people would not like it. That is their job. Like their only job since they are doing nothing else during their broadcast.I think we are in for a long painful season.Oh, and is anyone surprised that the OTT service from F1 was delayed?  Yeah, planning to release an app two days before potentially millions of people download it, shows a level of cluelessness reaching new heights.  Ask the Pokemon Go folks.DrERead
Last edited by f1m on Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit

atlantakat1
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Re: ESPN' Coverage.

Post by atlantakat1 »

I came away underwhelmed as well. The bizarre technical issues right from the start of the pre-race show really set the stage and added to my foreboding.

As for the race, the commercial cutaways ruined the flow of the broadcast. So weird for an announcer to be cut off mid-sentence about something interesting happening on the track and then to return mid-sentence a couple of minutes later. I wonder if Sky will take some notice of when ESPN cuts away and then have the announcers do a little recap of the action missed or only on side by side while ESPN is on commercial.

Oh well. At least it was a good race.

1slowhand
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by 1slowhand »

Unbelievably poor broadcast. Commercial placements totally left several of the most critical moments of the race to the viewers imagination. As an established sports broadcaster I would think ESPN would have a better understanding of the need to present an event (any and all events not just F1) in a coherent manner. If Liberty wishes to expand the fan base for F1 in the US I would suggest they review ESPN's effort as it shows how to lose the casual viewer rather than attract them. No one enjoys watching a sporting event which leaves them asking "what Happened"?

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

I think you're being a little too critical about the streaming app. When it was announced, it wasn't supposed to be ready for the first race, and they mentioned in several interviews that the work they're doing typically takes 18 months and they did it in six. The biggest issue was negotiating streaming rights in many countries, and figuring out who would do what.

The fact they delayed it should be commended, as they could have released it for the race, had people pay a ton of money for it and then fail terribly.

I doubt Sky will do anything for the ESPN broadcast as that would hurt both Sky and the streaming service. What will likely happen is a US commentator will come in much like Bob Varsha pops into the Formula E broadcasts.

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

I recorded the televised version, I always skip the preface, other than the track review, I bought the race coverage adequate, I don't like the three engine rule much. I think that is going to be a problem as the season progresses. Fans are going to get frustrated when they see the second place drive dropping back to save his engine for future races.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Re: ESPN's Coverage.

Post by indycals »

Last night's coverage made me SO glad that ABC (aka ABC/ESPN) will be doing their last Indy car race this June. It's all NBC next year, including the 500!

Nelsonp
Spectator
Spectator

Post by Nelsonp »

F1 coverage has always been tricky in the USA.
Personally I’m ecstatic that the 3 previous commentators are gone. They made the broadcasts unwatchable for me.
Annoying voices and stupid comments. The Sky team is much better

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Nelsonp wrote:F1 coverage has always been tricky in the USA.
Personally I’m ecstatic that the 3 previous commentators are gone. They made the broadcasts unwatchable for me.
Annoying voices and stupid comments. The Sky team is much better
I'm normally not as critical of the announcers as some, and I can understand how over-enthusiasm can be annoying, but I thought this crew was very dull and monotone.

PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Post by PJE »

Overall a very boring race and that’s not ESPN or Skey’s fault, but I for all the USA watches who disliked Hobbs and company, well I certainly was impressed with this Sky group. NBC had an extra element that added a lot to a race broadcast, and that was Will Buxton. You didn’t see him on camera during a race, but he was wandering the pit lane gathering interesting bits of news that I always enjoyed.
And what is this having a pit reporter dedicated to Louis Hamilton pit stops. Or in the case of this race, one stop! He was on air for 4 seconds! Oh, I think they went back to him later for a moment, but what a waste. As you can tell, I already miss our old friends at NBC.
Oh, also very disappointed with the loss of the post race interviews in the bull pen that Will Buxton conducted. I hoped at least that kind of coverage would be on the Watch ESPN app.

Paul Erlendson

Topic author
f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by f1m »

I really miss Steve Matchett... very nice fellow.

E