Finished models...

Topic author
mobiusone
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Done Ebbro Mclaren MP4/31 full CF

Post by mobiusone »

Hi all!!

It's been a very long time since i posted a completed kit on here, mainly due to failures and lack of interest. I have been building though, just not F1... A few images included to prove i'm not lying :D Tamiya F-16N and Aoshima's 270Z Widebody kit.

But anyway, onto the star of the post, the MP4/31. This is actually the second Ebbro Mclaren i've built, and it builds up almost exactly the same as the 4/30. Sometimes i'd have to stop and check to make sure Ebbro hadn't copied parts from the old kit (they hadn't). I built it up to represent Button's car at the USGP that i went to, and Tabu provided the fill in decals. (I know they made a late season that is more accurate but i already had this). Studio 27 full CF decals were used, and boy that bogged me down. I also stole the super soft tires off of my 4/30 kit, as i liked the look of them better than the softs provided with this kit. There was over 300 decals on this sheet, about 100 of which were for the front wing area. Because of all of these decals, this has taken me about 2 months to complete.

This is actually my first ever airbrushed paint job, using Gravity color's Mclaren predator grey (full stop, you can argue all you want on this color but seeing this car in person, gravity is by far the closest to the varying shades this color takes on) and a UPOL clear straight from the can. I'm actually very pleased with how it came out.

As for building the kit, its pretty straightforward. There are so many fiddly bits that it is really imperative that you plan your steps well in advance. The biggest issue that i had that messed me up a lot was the fit of the lower body panels around the rear suspensions. Maybe i was doing it wrong, but it just would not fit right and would cause the entire body shell to sit to high in the back. Long story short, if your building the kit, i found out it was the little stubs on the front of these two pieces. I cut them off, and voila the whole thing fit.

I got this kit for about $55 from my LHS. Was it worth this? No way at all. Its just to fiddly and some of the engineering is a bit odd (mainly around the little add on bits). However, it would be worth the $30 or so HLJ has it for. I made quite a few mistakes and a lot of the decals show it, but if nothing else i'm proud of the paint job i did.

And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Re: Done Ebbro Mclaren MP4/31 full CF

Post by vekkuli »

Good Job :D !

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

Post by billgtp »

Looks great

F1RacerFan
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by F1RacerFan »

Beautiful job!! Be proud! Color looks amazing. Also a Button fan- so....
Michael

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

That McLaren shines in the sun! Great job on all those decals, that is a bunch of work.

Nice looking Z, almost looks like blue chrome. F-16s were my favorite growing up so always nice to one and in rare Navy guise, too.

Jordan

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Great work on McLaren, love it!! Although they are a little monochromatic, that dark metallic grey looks stunning. It's got some nice company with the Z and F-16, fine work you've done there. What's next on the build list?
Cheers,
Chris

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Nice job! I love the way the Gravity Predator Grey colour sparkles in the sun!

Thanks for the heads up on the fiddly bits. And thanks for sharing the photos of the Zed and the jet!

Cheers, Chris

marlborored
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna; Lotus, Clark
United States of America

Post by marlborored »

Great looking build :!: :!:

Topic author
mobiusone
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by mobiusone »

Thanks guys! :)

And next up on the list already started is a BBR 1/43 Metal Ligier JS43, and then a rare Tamiya BMW 635csi Group A (the one with the inside parts drawn on the outside)
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna