Help with Tyre Decals? (Tamiya & Fujimi)

Post your best modeling tips here.

Topic author
Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tyrone
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: James Hunt
Great Britain

Help with Tyre Decals? (Tamiya & Fujimi)

Post by Tyrone »

Hi,

I feel like i'm missing something here.

With the tyre decals, I cut round the logo, flip it over onto the tyre, then cover it in water until the decal comes off, but I cant really see very well how they're supposed to line up because the backing paper is too opaque.

I've also tried floating the decal in water until it comes of the paper, then transferring it over to the tyre using a scalpel, this didn't work well.

I really do feel like I'm missing something obvious here, as they must be printed mirrored for a reason.

What techniques do you use to stick the tyre decals on?

Thanks for your help. (i've made 8 models that have wonky decals now, thankgod that Ebbro has pre-printed tyres!)

-Tyrone

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Re: Help with Tyre Decals? (Tamiya & Fujimi)

Post by vekkuli »

As Tamiya's Tyre Decals You must gently rub the Decal to Tyre Surface and when It's attached to Tyre Wall add Water to Decal Film to wipe It off.

mobiusone
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by mobiusone »

Hey Tryone. My first advice would be, if possible, ditch Tamiya's dry transfer tire decals and just buy some from Indycals. http://www.indycals.net/ His decals are 100 times better than what Tamiya gives you. But, if you need to stick with the dry transfers, usually what works for me is cutting the decal out, the placing it face down on the tire. I gently rub it down with my finger, the rub it down a bit more with usually a blunt toothpick. Key is to be gently but aggressive at the same time. I let it sit for about a minute, then I wet my finger in water (not dripping though) and lightly moisten the backing paper. Let it sit for about 15 sec, then lightly pull away the backing at a 45 degree angle. Most of the time this works.

Hope this helps!
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

If the problem is that you don't see through the paper, just trim the paper as close to letters as possiblle...

Hugeprong
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Hugo Pring
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by Hugeprong »

I think I have the answer here as for YEARS I had the same issue. In fact it is only in the last couple of years that I discovered the answer by accident.

Cut out the decal so that it at least vaguely fits on the tyre - and obviously discard the transparent covering paper too. It generally falls off anyway. Then, and this is the key bit, put a sharp knife in the side of the decal and with a bit of practice you will find that it sort of splits leaving you with the decal on a VERY thin film of paper that goes completely transparent when you put water on it.

You can easily line it up but if you have put clear gloss on the sidewall you will have to work quick. The waste film of paper often comes away with the slightest rub of a finger after 30 seconds. Voila!

I now find I have no problem with these dry decals. Just work the knife in at the side of the paper and you will get the knack quite quickly.

SanMarino
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ventisette Rosso
Canada

Post by SanMarino »

This is they way I do them:
JamesB wrote:If the problem is that you don't see through the paper, just trim the paper as close to letters as possiblle...

This method is new to me and sounds like it may be he better way. I will have to give it a try on the next opportunity:
Hugeprong wrote:Cut out the decal so that it at least vaguely fits on the tyre - and obviously discard the transparent covering paper too. It generally falls off anyway. Then, and this is the key bit, put a sharp knife in the side of the decal and with a bit of practice you will find that it sort of splits leaving you with the decal on a VERY thin film of paper that goes completely transparent when you put water on it.

Topic author
Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tyrone
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: James Hunt
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

Hi, it's true!

The decals peel off the backing card.

I've just decaled some MP$/7 tyres and it's taken half the time and each one is perfectly aligned!

Thanks for your help everyone.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Oh yes, obviously I meant discarding the thick paper (the one at the positive side of the decal) at first glance!!! :D

Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

All good advice. And concur IndyCals is the way to go.
I feel the need for speed.

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Hugeprong wrote:... the key bit, put a sharp knife in the side of the decal and with a bit of practice you will find that it sort of splits leaving you with the decal on a VERY thin film of paper that goes completely transparent when you put water on it. ...
That sounds like a great idea! I've gotta try that next!

Generally, people here in Japan try to cut as close to the tyre logo as possible (as James says). Then some will lay a large coin, centred on the wheel, and use the coin as a guide to proper alignment.

But your idea seems much better!

Cheers, Chris