Kits Thru Mail

Ask away....

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Kits Thru Mail

Post by Fiatphile »

I received a much sought after kit in today's mail.
Was very excited to get ahold of this kit.
Noticed the ship/mail box was in poor shape.
Opened the box and my stomach sank. A $150.00 kit was a total loss.
Main body shell was broke/crushed. Suspension arms on chassis was broken off
As well. Guys, if you sell a kit and use our oh so careful USPS to ship.....spend the
few extra dollars to insure. I learned this lesson many years ago. It is not expensive
and protects both parties concerned.
Now have a $150.00 spare box parts!
I feel the need for speed.

vontrips
Midfield
Midfield

Re: Kits Thru Mail

Post by vontrips »

I know the problem. Bought 6 five foot radiators this week from a well known builders merchants. All 6 arrived dented...waiting for them to collect! Grrr

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

vontrips wrote:I know the problem. Bought 6 five foot radiators this week from a well known builders merchants. All 6 arrived dented...waiting for them to collect! Grrr
I mail everything insured and pay extra for the person receiving too sign for.
This adds around $5.00 to postage. Better yet, UPS automatically insures their
packages for $100.00. I learned this the hard way after a Pocher kit went missing,
refunded the full $600.00 plus ship......and never saw the kit again.
Rick

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

Murphy stricks again........lesson learned. Really hope the seller will allow me to return.

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

Fiatphile wrote:Really hope the seller will allow me to return.
Not sure why the seller should allow you to return unless the kit was REALLY improperly packaged. If the kit was properly packed - and by that I mean the contents of the kit protected against rattling around in the original box and the original box wrapped in bubble wrap or packed in foam peanuts inside another sturdy outer box at least several inches larger in every dimension - then it's between you and the Post Office and if it wasn't insured you are out of luck. If the seller wasn't insuring for full value you should have insisted - and expected to pay for the service.

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

As you spoke, truth. However, single layer cardboard box, looked like it had been around for awhile. No, nothing packed in ship container nor in kit to protect.
Fully understand your comment on insurance, however common sense should prevail.
2nd, honor the fact as a gentleman, was purchased and paid for thru Pay Pal.
I will not push the issue thru Pay Pal, however, a claim could be filed and funds removed
from that individuals account. But sir, I am a honorable person who would not do this for the mere fact we never discussed insurance. My offer was to pay his price, he was to handle shipping. Believe me, will not purchase again w/o insurance.

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

Please let me clarify, my point being made is either request and have insurance or if you the seller send, insure. Reguardless of miss given views of who is at fault.
A purchase is a contract for a item received and or mailed in good order.
Think not, play around with Pay Pal and see what they have the ability to do.
I lost a Pocher kit and $600.00, and no the individual never asked for insurance!

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

And, no.....the buyer did not ask for his money back....I returned because it was the honorable....I know strange, thing to do.

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

It's sounds like the person who sold and shipped the kit to you didn't pack it very well to me. Insurance or not, if you pack a kit properly for it to travel, then it will arrive safely. I've sold many kits on eBay and sent some of them over long distances. All of them have arrived safely with no damage at all. It's down to the seller to pack them well enough to survive the journey, especially on an expensive kit. Just my opinion.
Steve Noble

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

Thank you sir. I have ordered and received kits from all over the World with no damage. I have not asked the seller for a refund nor return.
I am leaving that up too him. I will agree with whatever he suggest. I have already
purchased another same kit and this time even agreed to pay extra for good packing
and insurance.