For all F1 scale model news...

Topic author
Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Hobby Forum 2014 News from Yokohama Japan

Post by Eagle50 »

Hey guys,

I went to the annual Hobby Forum in Yokohama yesterday (Sunday November 9th, here in Japan). It was great hobnobbing with modellers much more skilled than myself, and a few important industry people for the day. I'll post some photos here, as time permits. But first a quick summary of some things I learnt.

I spoke with Ebbro CEO Mr Kiya for a few minutes. As he showed me his Lotus 88 demo builds on display, he said that:

The Ebbro Lotus 88 is coming early next year. It will actually be released as two separate kits, one for the black & beige livery, and one for the blue & silver Essex livery. Both kits will come with a chrome plated front wing, and "shark gill" radiator outlets on the sides, but you'll have to find a way to chrome-tape the Essex liveried car's rear wing and side skirts yourself - by using Hasegawa's Mirror Finish or another highly reflective decal or tape product. (Another modeller I spoke to said it would be easy with the Hasegawa product, as you can stretch it around parts and it "clings".) Car number decals for the Essex car, and for the black & beige car sides, however, will be a nice chrome silver.

The 88 side mirror stays are moulded in very thin plastic and easily breakable. A mirror on the black & beige liveried 88 displayed there was already broken off. I said that I'd probably replace my 88 mirror stays with wire or stainless steel pins, and Mr Kiya said "That's a good idea".

The 88 body top fits in-between the body sides very tightly, and has a built-in snap at the nose, so it won't float up. Mr Kiya was quite proud of that extra little snap feature, that he had built into his car. The body top fits so tight, however, that even Mr Kiya had trouble getting it back on. As he was trying to fit the top back on, he said "Oh no, I'm probably going to break the model", but eventually wiggled it on. People who build the 88 are going to have to be very careful of paint thickness tolerances. Too much paint on the body top's side edges, or on the inside rear brake ducts that the top sides touch, is going to cause fitment problems.

Mr Kiya says that moulds for a Lotus 91 are already being made. The 91 shares many similar parts with the 88, and many of us who've read magazine interviews with Mr Kiya were expecting this. He didn't say when to expect a Lotus 91 release, but eventually, we'll have a 91 to add to our stables.

Mr Kiya said that the (sports car nosed) Tyrrell 002 will be released after the 88s. So if (like me) you were waiting for a 002 release soon after the recent "hammer head" 003, don't hold your breath.

Mr Kiya also told me that his Lotus 49B and 49C are on the back burner now. Says that "I'm too busy with other projects to get around to them now". So.., no 49B or 49C release dates are even planned yet.

But boy, those 88s were sexy. I want both!

I also spoke with my acquaintance at Model Art Magazine, chief car models editor Mr Yamashita. He says to expect another special issue on F1 kits & builds from them (in Japanese) under the Auto Modeling name, in a few months. Content yet to be decided.

I spoke with the (only one) guy at the tiny little Aoshima table. He says to expect their MP4/2 early next year too. The white primered demo build was quite detailed for a plastic kit - beautiful to look at. (Photos coming)

I only had a quick chat with Mr Hiro. He never spends much time at his own MFH booth, preferring to run around and chat with expert modelers, retailers and wholesalers each year. He leaves sales to his lovely wife Kyoko and his workers, using his time at the annual Hobby Forums to catch up with old friends, and maintain his business network. But he did say, as we spoke over a cigarette in the smoking room, that "Things have changed so much from our 1/20 days! Now I'm just making 1/43s and big scale (1/12) stuff". And he added, "Too bad that Allan isn't here".

And Mr Kawaguchi of Finisher's! He's come out with a resin transkit to make a Sasol liveried Jordan 192 from a Tamiya 191! I didn't even know he was doing that kit! The quick demo (that he built in just two days for the Hobby Forum) looked very nice, and well proportioned. I wanted one - only 8000 yen! - but had already spent all my money on four sale priced MFH and S27 kits. Mr Kawaguchi had a resin Finisher's MP4/4 transkit for sale too. It's good to see him back into making resin F1 kits again.

All in all, it was a great day. I got to say hello to MFH's "Hong Kong Gang" (you know who you are). I got given some nice modelling hints from guys displaying great builds. I met world famous car photographer Yuji again, and others I've seen before at the Hobby Forum. And I saw the same tables with bored wives and girlfriends dragged there by their better halves, just sleeping, twiddling their thumbs or playing with their smartphones again. LOL I also purchased a MFH Lotus Type 43 and BRM P115 Italian GP, and a Studio 27 BAR 007 and Alpha Romeo 179 at one-third to half-off prices. Who knows when I'll ever get round to building them... But I'm already looking forward to next year's Hobby Forum.

I'll close with a few photos to whet your appetite.
Cheers,
Chris
Hobby Forum entrance, at the Yokohama seaside.  Everything takes place in that big hall way down there.  Notice all the guys lining up on the left, just to get in and grab the best bargains first, when the Forum starts at 10:00.
Hobby Forum entrance, at the Yokohama seaside. Everything takes place in that big hall way down there. Notice all the guys lining up on the left, just to get in and grab the best bargains first, when the Forum starts at 10:00.
Finisher's Mr Kawaguchi and wife working hard, happy.  Mr Kawaguchi sold a slew of old kits, and was well pleased.  He and all the other vendors were there at 5:00 though, setting up, and were well-knackered by the end of the day.
Finisher's Mr Kawaguchi and wife working hard, happy. Mr Kawaguchi sold a slew of old kits, and was well pleased. He and all the other vendors were there at 5:00 though, setting up, and were well-knackered by the end of the day.
The annual Hobby Forum thronged with punters - again.  This is early-on, before it got really crowded.
The annual Hobby Forum thronged with punters - again. This is early-on, before it got really crowded.
Three famous modeller chatting on a small stage, talking and joking about modelling issues, and chumming it up for the crowd.  The guy in center is a famous 1/43 scale modeller here, and writes a monthly magazine column.  (Sorry, 1/43 isn't my cup of tea.  Didn't catch his name or the magazine he writes regularly for.)  Joe Honda was up on this stage last year, talking about his life experiences as a world travelling photographer.
Three famous modeller chatting on a small stage, talking and joking about modelling issues, and chumming it up for the crowd. The guy in center is a famous 1/43 scale modeller here, and writes a monthly magazine column. (Sorry, 1/43 isn't my cup of tea. Didn't catch his name or the magazine he writes regularly for.) Joe Honda was up on this stage last year, talking about his life experiences as a world travelling photographer.
The early crowd gathering round to admire builds on the display tables, with the builders / displayers sitting in the center.
The early crowd gathering round to admire builds on the display tables, with the builders / displayers sitting in the center.
My first stop, to see the 1/20 Lotus 88 demo builds at Ebbro's table.  These are the cars I most wanted to see.
My first stop, to see the 1/20 Lotus 88 demo builds at Ebbro's table. These are the cars I most wanted to see.
The Ebbro kits come with a fair amount of moulded plastic piping - even an inside fire extinguisher.  We have to find a way to re-create the chrome sliver rear wing and sides on this Essex car ourselves, though.  Only the front wing and body-side "shark gills" will come chrome plated on either version.  But don't they look cool??  The electric metallic silver on the Essex version looks specially nice to me - although Mr Kiya didn't know what paint his modeller had used for it.
The Ebbro kits come with a fair amount of moulded plastic piping - even an inside fire extinguisher. We have to find a way to re-create the chrome sliver rear wing and sides on this Essex car ourselves, though. Only the front wing and body-side "shark gills" will come chrome plated on either version. But don't they look cool?? The electric metallic silver on the Essex version looks specially nice to me - although Mr Kiya didn't know what paint his modeller had used for it.
Last edited by Eagle50 on Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author
Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Hobby Forum 2014 News from Yokohama Japan

Post by Eagle50 »

And more Hobby Forum 2014 picts.
Ebbro 88s from the side.  Didn't know this car was so long and narrow!  Mr Kiya says they'll also have the double chassis (which was soon banned) faithfully replicated.  He was quite proud of all the work that went into designing / moulding those parts too.
Ebbro 88s from the side. Didn't know this car was so long and narrow! Mr Kiya says they'll also have the double chassis (which was soon banned) faithfully replicated. He was quite proud of all the work that went into designing / moulding those parts too.
Black & beige liveried Lotus 88 from the back (sorry about the sunlight in the camera's "eyes").  Notice the already-broken off left mirror, now stuck with tape to the wheel so that Ebbro CEO Mr Kiya doesn't lose it.  And, the nicely replicated dimples in the tyres.
Black & beige liveried Lotus 88 from the back (sorry about the sunlight in the camera's "eyes"). Notice the already-broken off left mirror, now stuck with tape to the wheel so that Ebbro CEO Mr Kiya doesn't lose it. And, the nicely replicated dimples in the tyres.
Another side shot of the black & beige (& silver) Lotus 88.  The silver sides on this car are decals.  No need to find your own chroming solution for this one.
Another side shot of the black & beige (& silver) Lotus 88. The silver sides on this car are decals. No need to find your own chroming solution for this one.
Another shot of the blue & silver Lotus 88.  The silver sides and rear wing on this one are NOT decals, and will have to be "chromed" with reflective tape, Hasegawa's Mirror Finish, or some method of your own design.
Another shot of the blue & silver Lotus 88. The silver sides and rear wing on this one are NOT decals, and will have to be "chromed" with reflective tape, Hasegawa's Mirror Finish, or some method of your own design.
A shot of Ebbro's Tyrrell 002 "sports car nose" kit.  Mr Kiya says this will be released AFTER the 88s.  She's still a beauty, though, ain't she?  I can wait.  Still got my brand new "hammer head" 003 to do.
A shot of Ebbro's Tyrrell 002 "sports car nose" kit. Mr Kiya says this will be released AFTER the 88s. She's still a beauty, though, ain't she? I can wait. Still got my brand new "hammer head" 003 to do.
Rear view of Ebbro's 002 demo model.  This one will also come with already-made mirrors on stays, like the recently released 003 does.
Rear view of Ebbro's 002 demo model. This one will also come with already-made mirrors on stays, like the recently released 003 does.
There were wonderful examples of Ebbro's diecast cars on display at the same table. But being a 1/20 F1 plastic guy, I didn't take any photos of them... Sorry...
Last edited by Eagle50 on Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Post by allnie »

SUPER. Thanks a lot. Wish I had the money to go every year.
Br
Allan
Br
Allan

Topic author
Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

More photos.
Aoshima's MP4/2 demo in primer white.  This was about the only thing on display at their little table - aside from a 1/24 Celica in the box.
Aoshima's MP4/2 demo in primer white. This was about the only thing on display at their little table - aside from a 1/24 Celica in the box.
A side view.  Notice that they've even replicated the triangular "stick" supports for the turbos.  (I had to make my own with white metal wire for my Fujimi Lotus 97T...)
A side view. Notice that they've even replicated the triangular "stick" supports for the turbos. (I had to make my own with white metal wire for my Fujimi Lotus 97T...)
A side view.  The wheels look nice.  (Photos of a yellow car behind are at another vendor's table next door - didn't even look at that one because it wasn't F1.)
A side view. The wheels look nice. (Photos of a yellow car behind are at another vendor's table next door - didn't even look at that one because it wasn't F1.)
A shot from the other side, showing the cowl better.  Those rear "gills" won't take much thinning with the edge of a box-cutter, to make very realistically thin.
A shot from the other side, showing the cowl better. Those rear "gills" won't take much thinning with the edge of a box-cutter, to make very realistically thin.
Rear view.  Nice thin suspension parts.  Even thin rear wing stay rods angling up, that I didn't notice when I took the picture. Dimples on the tyres, though, I don't think will be on the actual release or needed.  Looked as if a strip of rubber was somehow stapled onto the wheels, where the two ends of the rubber strip met, creating these dimples in only one place.  Notice that the dimples are spun round facing the camera on only one tyre.
Rear view. Nice thin suspension parts. Even thin rear wing stay rods angling up, that I didn't notice when I took the picture. Dimples on the tyres, though, I don't think will be on the actual release or needed. Looked as if a strip of rubber was somehow stapled onto the wheels, where the two ends of the rubber strip met, creating these dimples in only one place. Notice that the dimples are spun round facing the camera on only one tyre.
Close up of the engine bay.  Looks like a tight fit.  Well engineered!  Can't wait to see someone do this with all the wiring and piping.
Close up of the engine bay. Looks like a tight fit. Well engineered! Can't wait to see someone do this with all the wiring and piping.
Close up of the front sus area.  Notice that Aoshima are even going to include brake reservoirs (no scratch-building with plastic rod necessary).  Couldn't quite see if there were pedals in there too.  But I like the moulded rivet work.
Close up of the front sus area. Notice that Aoshima are even going to include brake reservoirs (no scratch-building with plastic rod necessary). Couldn't quite see if there were pedals in there too. But I like the moulded rivet work.
Last edited by Eagle50 on Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Post by Flemming »

Hi

Very nice to see news from Japan. Strangely Hobbyeasy has the next Tyrrell labeled for a 20. of november release... Not cast in concrete I guess? ;-)

http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/ru7y3d ... u5jd4.html

Best regards

Flemming

Topic author
Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Photos from the MFH tables.
MFH's newest - a Ferrari 250 GTO and a Porsche 596 in 1/12 scale.  These are huge!  Too big for my budget or display area.  MFH's master builder, Mr Yamazaki, told me they'll be heavy, too.  Will have to take support spacers under the cars to support all the white metal weight off the floor.  But die-hard multi-media builders are used to that.
MFH's newest - a Ferrari 250 GTO and a Porsche 596 in 1/12 scale. These are huge! Too big for my budget or display area. MFH's master builder, Mr Yamazaki, told me they'll be heavy, too. Will have to take support spacers under the cars to support all the white metal weight off the floor. But die-hard multi-media builders are used to that.
Here's the naked Porsche 596 up close.  Look at all that white metal..!  I joked with Mr Yamazaki, and said it must weigh 5 kg.  He laughed, and said it's more like 3.5 kg...!  The weight of a full grown cat..!
Here's the naked Porsche 596 up close. Look at all that white metal..! I joked with Mr Yamazaki, and said it must weigh 5 kg. He laughed, and said it's more like 3.5 kg...! The weight of a full grown cat..!
MFH's great big 1/12 Ferrari, beautifully done in all its glory.
MFH's great big 1/12 Ferrari, beautifully done in all its glory.
The engine.  Mr Yamazaki pulled off the transmission, so he could proudly display the FLYWHEEL on the back of the power unit..!
The engine. Mr Yamazaki pulled off the transmission, so he could proudly display the FLYWHEEL on the back of the power unit..!
Left front shot of the same Ferrari F1.  Nothing shines like metal, like metal.  The tub is burnished out to a nice dull shine here.
Left front shot of the same Ferrari F1. Nothing shines like metal, like metal. The tub is burnished out to a nice dull shine here.
A close up of the F1 engine.  Looks like you could put in some petrol and start it up.  Mr Yamazaki and I laughed about that - because it does seem so!
A close up of the F1 engine. Looks like you could put in some petrol and start it up. Mr Yamazaki and I laughed about that - because it does seem so!
Right next to these big 1/12 scale kits, MFH's staff selling 1/20s and 1/24s.  There's always a mass of people around the MFH tables at every Hobby Forum.  Everything's 30 per cent off!  Not that they bring every kit in the warehouse with them, mind you.  But it's a great chance for some deals - and one reason why so many people line up to get into the Hobby Forum each year, first.
Right next to these big 1/12 scale kits, MFH's staff selling 1/20s and 1/24s. There's always a mass of people around the MFH tables at every Hobby Forum. Everything's 30 per cent off! Not that they bring every kit in the warehouse with them, mind you. But it's a great chance for some deals - and one reason why so many people line up to get into the Hobby Forum each year, first.
Last edited by Eagle50 on Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

And right across the aisle, is always the Studio 27 area. Why do they always set up so close to each other..? LOL
One of Studio 27's current kits.
One of Studio 27's current kits.
And another current kit.  The kits along this wall are never discounted at the Hobby Forums.  They're not even available the Hobby Forums - these are more like advertisements.  But seeing them so beautifully done sure makes you want to place an order.
And another current kit. The kits along this wall are never discounted at the Hobby Forums. They're not even available the Hobby Forums - these are more like advertisements. But seeing them so beautifully done sure makes you want to place an order.
Notice the front roll bar poking through the front cowling on this one - their Ronnie Peterson version.
Notice the front roll bar poking through the front cowling on this one - their Ronnie Peterson version.
A classic.  Do you think we'll ever see this one in plastic..?
A classic. Do you think we'll ever see this one in plastic..?
For those of you who don't want the Hasegawa plastic version, and want the heft of resin and white metal in your hands.
For those of you who don't want the Hasegawa plastic version, and want the heft of resin and white metal in your hands.
30 current S27 kit 06.jpg
I want to build this one.  One of my favourite Murray designs in the Martini livery.  It's never on sale at the Hobby Forums, though - not with these decals.  I've got a Studio 27 44B version for another privateer team that I purchased on sale here last year, now I've just got to find these decals for it.
I want to build this one. One of my favourite Murray designs in the Martini livery. It's never on sale at the Hobby Forums, though - not with these decals. I've got a Studio 27 44B version for another privateer team that I purchased on sale here last year, now I've just got to find these decals for it.

Topic author
Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

More Studio 27s. These are all still available now.
32 current S27 kit 08.jpg
33 current S27 kit 09.jpg
34 current S27 kit 10.jpg
35 current S27 kit 11.jpg
And these are some of the kits that Studio 27 do bring to the Hobby Forum to sell cheap.  These are all 14,000 or 18,000 yen.  A couple of the older, unpopular ones were just 12,000 yen.  Couldn't get a picture of them all - too many browsers standing in the way.  But this is about two-thirds of the ones they brought to the Forum this year.
And these are some of the kits that Studio 27 do bring to the Hobby Forum to sell cheap. These are all 14,000 or 18,000 yen. A couple of the older, unpopular ones were just 12,000 yen. Couldn't get a picture of them all - too many browsers standing in the way. But this is about two-thirds of the ones they brought to the Forum this year.
And a plethora of aftermarket Studio 27 parts.  All a bit cheaper than you can usually find them, but not drastically price reduced.
And a plethora of aftermarket Studio 27 parts. All a bit cheaper than you can usually find them, but not drastically price reduced.
Last Studio 27 area shot.  They do bring an awful lot of decal sets to the Hobby Forums, too.  Racks and racks of them, all modestly discounted.
Last Studio 27 area shot. They do bring an awful lot of decal sets to the Hobby Forums, too. Racks and racks of them, all modestly discounted.
Last edited by Eagle50 on Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

And here are some of the builds by people who come from all over the Kanto area here, to display their skills and vie for contest prized (i.e. bags full of more plastic kits to build).
Most displayers' builds were photographed by some Model Graphix photographers this year.  Apparently, a magazine or catalog of everyone's prized builds is going to be published.  Don't know if you can see it here, but this little 1/24 has working headlights.
Most displayers' builds were photographed by some Model Graphix photographers this year. Apparently, a magazine or catalog of everyone's prized builds is going to be published. Don't know if you can see it here, but this little 1/24 has working headlights.
40 display build.jpg
41 display build.jpg
42 display build.jpg
Don't see this rare kit done very often - or, well, maybe not outside Japan.
Don't see this rare kit done very often - or, well, maybe not outside Japan.
44 display build.jpg
Nice crash scene diorama.
Nice crash scene diorama.

Topic author
Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

And more builds by fellow modellers in Japan.
The time if must've taken to do all these figures!
The time if must've taken to do all these figures!
Well built Ferrari with a pretty realistic Shumi bust.
Well built Ferrari with a pretty realistic Shumi bust.
48 display build.jpg
49 display build.jpg
50 display build.jpg
An AMC FW36 already done.  This kit was released just recently, and is already sold out.
An AMC FW36 already done. This kit was released just recently, and is already sold out.
Looks nice.  Do you think AMC will make any more FW36s..?
Looks nice. Do you think AMC will make any more FW36s..?