Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

TVF1 1/12 Ferrari 641/2 detail set review

Post by lezdep »

I have published a mini review of detail set from Thunder Valley F1 to my blog.
This thread will be locked down right away. If you have any questions or comments, please leave them on
my blog or email me.

Link - http://lezdep.blogspot.ca/2013/09/mini- ... 1-112.html

================ Here is copy of my blog post from September 2013 ================

Apparently Thunder Valley F1 is back on track with Ferrari 641/2 detail kits and shipping them out to customers.

I've received my copy yesterday. Everything was packaged nicely and shipped on timely manner. Detail sets currently
produced do not include turned parts for dumpers.

Overall impressions are positive. Spoiled by cheap and inexpensive photo-etch sets from China and Japan, I felt that
there could be more PE parts for the price. But I guess it costs quite a bit more to produce those parts in USA. Besides,
I understand that PE parts on rubber backing are even more expensive to make.

I especially like turned velocity stacks and cast in resin replacement air box base. All the turned parts look very good
and their price to quality ratio is excellent for the money, in my opinion.

Wheel Nuts/Spindle set has to be ordered separately. Machined parts look very good to me. Again price to quality ratio is
excellent for this set.

It is claimed on TVF1 site, that some of their detail sets provide more PE items compare to sets produced in the past under
Perfect Parts brand. I've reviewed images I have of PP parts and beside washers and turned dumper's parts, I think
TVF1 641/2 set covers pretty much same set of parts as PP set.

I have to wait till I actually build my 641/2 kit to make a conclusion on how much extra TVF1 set adds. But from visual
review I think it looks to be a great value for the price and should add quite a bit of detail to the build of already excellent
Tamiya kit.

Just for the sake of comparison I include a photo of PE sets provided in 1/12 scale MFH 643 conversion kit.