Topic author
KekekeRosberg
F2
F2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Onyx
Canada

S27 - 1:20 Williams FW09B - 1985 test livery

Post by KekekeRosberg »

With my Toleman TG185 near completion, i'm looking forward to a new challenge. Yesterday i received a new kit in the mail, it's a Studio27 Williams FW09B in 1985 livery multi-media kit. Although the 1986/87 livery is more popular and successful, but I always like the 1985 livery better as it's more aggressive and still look very young to me - for some reason, the 86 Williams livery looks tired to me.

The FW09B was the car that Williams used in the first part of the early 85 season and the FW10 was the real model for the 85 season.

At first i was worried that this kit would not come with any number or driver name as it's a test livery and i wasn't sure if Williams had put a number on the car. But it turns out that this kit comes with the #5 and #6 decal, plus all 3 drivers' names (Keke, Nigel and Saturo)

Also, initially i thought this is a curbside kit but it actually comes with the engine details, so it's a bonus for me and because of this, it gives me the idea of cutting out the engine cover so that the engine can be viewed when finished. Does anyone know if it's possible to cut out the engine cover? it's made in resin material, i think i'll need some precise cutting saw to achieve the proper result.

This kit comes with lots of parts and they are in pretty good condition.

The only problem is the two decal sheets are placed together without any film in between, so they were "sticked" together and some of the decals (the red lines) is damaged as a result - but i think those are the duplicated ones that i might not need to use afterall.

below are white metal parts for the undertray diffuser (top left) and sidepod panels (bottom row)

The wheels are already in gold and silver colour, do i still to paint these? i reckon i will need to work on these wheels but am not too sure exactly what i need to do though. Any advise for me?

All the other white metal parts on display

I know that Keke and Nigel are eager to test the car, so i better start working on this kit.

Last edited by KekekeRosberg on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kits wanted:
Studio27 - 1985 McLaren MP4/2B - found it!!!
Studio27 - 1985 Williams FW10 - found it!!!

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: S27 - 1:20 Williams FW09B - 1985 test livery

Post by JamesB »

Interesting!
and hey that Rosberg figure looks really great :)
glad it had such a good outcome :)

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Post by allnie »

I have the kit and broke my neck. Far from 2013 standards - actually very bad. Fit was bad -instructions unclear. Many bad solutions. Like the end of the diffuser being a separate part - almost impossible to glue such a heavy part. Remember the parts are in white metal so the weight will soon become an issue. The front arms needs a lot of surgery and cutting to align the upper and lower arms. I still have the kit - 50% done before I gave up and instead found other much better kits.
Br
Allan
Br
Allan

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Look forward to seeing your work, being a big Keke fan.

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

The driver figures look nice!

Let me know if any Japanese in the instructions is unclear. Send me a scan, and I'll translate it for you.

Chris

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

Nice find! Looking forward to see progress...

GF-F1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ligier
France

Post by GF-F1 »

Hello Louis,

Happy to see your WIP on F1M, and happy to see again the great thing that you are doing with the figure that I created, I can’t wait to see the next teps.

Cheers

Franck
www.gf-models.eu

Topic author
KekekeRosberg
F2
F2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Onyx
Canada

Post by KekekeRosberg »

Hi guys, thanks for the comment.

James - the Keke decals worked out pretty good, i'm grateful that you've produced these rare driver decals. I've recently bought a set of Mansell 85 decal sheet on the internet and i think it's produced by you as well (judging by the instruction sheet included)

Allan - i did a quick test fit after reading your comments and the kit does seem to be quite difficult with some of the parts, i hope i'll be able to overcome the challenges. Will need lots of patience i reckon.

Shayne - i knew that you are a great fan of Keke as i've read your comment on another forum that you were hoping one of the posters would be making the #6 car of the FW10. This FW09B will be Nigel's car, i've reserved the FW10 for Keke as he's the more senior driver at Williams.

Chris - thanks for the offer, the insturction is quite clear to me as i can read a little bit of Japanese (or Chinese characters) and it has English translation. The challenge is with some of the diagrams as they are not very clear and will probably need some guesswork from me.

Jeff - yes, it's so hard to find a 1985 Williams FW10, this 1985 Suzuka test car (FW09B) is not any easier.

Franck - i love your figures. I've nearly completed the Teo Fabi figure for my Toleman TG185 - i just need to add the decal to the race overall and helmet. Will post on this forum once it's fully finished.

cheers
Louis
kits wanted:
Studio27 - 1985 McLaren MP4/2B - found it!!!
Studio27 - 1985 Williams FW10 - found it!!!

JM
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Germany

Post by JM »

KekekeRosberg wrote: Also, initially i thought this is a curbside kit but it actually comes with the engine details, so it's a bonus for me and because of this, it gives me the idea of cutting out the engine cover so that the engine can be viewed when finished. Does anyone know if it's possible to cut out the engine cover? it's made in resin material, i think i'll need some precise cutting saw to achieve the proper result.
I built the 1984 S27 FW09 and I too thought it was nice to have some engine detail. But while building it I found that the engine would not fit beneath the engine cover without massive modifications. So in the end I built it curbside.
Good luck building the kit. It's not an easy one.