What are your favorite racing games?

Post away...

Topic author
badun
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Bryan Duncan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All-time favorite is Senna but I don't cheer for a particular driver or team any longer. I just want to see good races with multiple teams capable of winning!
United States of America

What are your favorite racing games?

Post by badun »

This is partly a request for input but it's a conversation starter as well. I used to an active PC racing sim player until Windows XP came along and made my Logitech wheel obsolete. I just got back into the game (so to speak) when I found myself with an unexpected birthday bonus and decided to upgrade my monitor, video card, and found a Thrustmaster wheel for dirt cheap at Costco. I tried Codemasters F1 2010 last night and I was impressed enough to make up for lost time. What games of recent vintage do you all like? I assume that F1 2010 has F1 covered, but are there any rallying sims of note from recent years? Before my wheel was invalidated, I used to really enjoy Richard Burns Rally and Warthog's Rally Championship. Frankly, I'm pretty bad at gaming but it's still fun to do virtual laps and pretend I'm actually winning (with all driver aids on, of course). :lol:

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Re: What are your favorite racing games?

Post by daniel »

I'm currently play GT5 on my PS3...but I'm not that impressed altough it's great fun in multiplayer mode.
GT4 for PS2 in perfect but a little dated.
I really loved the first (!!!)Colin Mcray Rally on PS 2...perfect feeling.
Will optimize my playroom over the holiday. Will setup Ps3, beamer, steering wheel and raceseat..hope that turns out great.

daniel
-germany-

Robban
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by Robban »

F1 2010 and GTR2

f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by f1m »

I am playing GT5 at the moment... I haven't tried the multiplayer online yet, but might this weekend. Am going through the B-spec mode to get some decent cars... I have 'J. May' as one of my drivers... still trying to get 'R. Hammond'. No sign of 'T. Stig' or 'J. Clarkson' yet.

E

atlantakat1
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by atlantakat1 »

I can't comment on the console games except to say that the graphics on the new releases are gorgous but the driving experience still generally leaves me cold as I much prefer a realistic simulation of actual racing.

For PC, rFactor is the game that will give you the most breadth for a real racing sim (as opposed to a more arcade-like console game). Based on an open platform for modding, an incredible community of passionate racers have produced mods that range from dirt track ovals, rallies, vintage sports cars, stockcars, touring cars, Euro Trucks, IndyCars, to F1 from 1955 to the present and pretty much everything in between. Plus, pretty much every track (historical to modern) is available for free download. Go to http://www.rfactorcentral.com and look around. For F1 alone, there are mods out from 1971, 1975, 1975, 1985, 1988 and 1991 that are all superlative (plus all recent seasons). The game engine is due for an overhaul and rFactor 2 is expected in the next couple of months.

There are several series specific PC games out there but IMHO none of them is clearly superior to a good mod in rFactor.

iRacing deserves a call out. It comes from passionate geniuses that have developed a consistent line of standard setting racing games for over two decades now. The model is built around on-line racing against human opponents (which can include major racing drivers who play the game). iRacing takes a huge investment in time (and money) and I would not recommend it to someone new to the "sport". But it is out there if and when you are ready to get serious (or obsessed).

As for F2010, its a weird duck. Great eye candy, nice effort to bring career and off the track game play but riddled with bugs and the driving experience tends to the arcade side of the spectrum. Still, I am playing it now and enjoy it (when the game is not crashing)

One last thought: Invest in a good wheel and pedal set. I use a Logitech G25 which is a bit dated now. If you get bitten by the bug, you will find folks that sit in realistic F1 tubs while they game!

steveoccc
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by steveoccc »

I just tried rFactor but I only have a joystick so I picked up a Logitech Momo Force feedback wheel on ebay. I'd like people's opinions about the different racing wheels out there, please.
"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity" - Robert A. Heinlein

lumpulus
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by lumpulus »

Gand Prix Legends

Topic author
badun
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Bryan Duncan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All-time favorite is Senna but I don't cheer for a particular driver or team any longer. I just want to see good races with multiple teams capable of winning!
United States of America

Post by badun »

It's all coming back to me now. iRacing is from the Papyrus folks, right? I will definitely have to try out rFactor. One thing that is very evident from F1 2010 is just how sh!tty today's tracks are. Cycling through them I had no interest at all in most of the circuits. Plus I very much want to go through a pre-chicane Eaux Rouge again!

My previous wheel was a Logitech Formula Force. At the time it was one of the best you could get. Unfortunately, it married USB to serial processing and with XP it became impossible for Logitech to support (they took a ton of heat for that, but it wasn't a case of planned obsolescence - it just flat didn't work with newer operating systems). I was tempted to get a new wheel over the years but haven't had the time or money. I still don't have the time, but for $35 I picked up a Thrustmaster Ferrari GT Experience. It's not a real sim wheel, but for the money it's not bad at all. Maybe someday I'll get a better wheel, but not at the expense of my other expensive hobbies. :mrgreen:

MarcoSaupe
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: HHF
Germany

Post by MarcoSaupe »

Richard Burns is still the best Rallye Sim. Grand Prix Legends may be old, but with some of the latest addons and patches (Targa Florio) it can still be great fun (NOTHING compares to entering Stavelot in an Eagle on a fast lap, I drove dozens of online league races there and still get scared every time) and does not look like a 12 year old game. Race (in it's different incarnations) is ok for touring car fans. Netkar has some nice features, but a limited following. Live For Speed has only fantasy tracks, but physics are good. iRacing may have good quality, but I can't support the business model (even after you paid a) for the car, b) for the track and c) the monthly fee, you would still have to pay d) a race fee if you want to have a race with your mates, and not be assigned to a more or less random server).

My current Sim of choice is rFactor; it has good physics and as atlantakat1 said, hundreds of cars and tracks. 2 weeks ago I raced 71 F1 cars in Kyalami, 1 week ago 1989 DTM at Salzburg and this evening a DBR9 in Mid Ohio...

The most used wheels are the G25 or G27, Fanatec also has a couple of good ones. If you get obsessed you can invest serious money, like I did with my BRD equipment, and get some solid metal under you feet ;)

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

Never played a computer game in my life! Am I missing something?
Atb,alexp.