FINISHED Lotus 29 1:25

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
pertti_jarla
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

FINISHED Lotus 29 1:25

Post by pertti_jarla »

An old AMT model, tried to add detail and correct the flaws in shape. The kit is mostly done, but I am waiting for more decals and making a windshield.

Photoetched harness bits, the seatbelt material is the surface of an old BodyShop nail polisher ripped off.

The nose has been enlargened with plastic stripes and Milliput. Surprisingly this process was quite fast and trouble free. The markings are from Indycals. The decal sheet didn't include enough yellow stripe: it should cover the bit underneath the windscreen, the headrest and the rear cone. Luckily I had a spare sheet. Good and opaque decals, but two layers is better, so now I am waiting for another set to come from the mail. I am going to try and sand the creases and touch up with paint.

The tyres were way too big. I ended up widening the front ones and putting them in the rear, in the front is a pair of MG models tyres. I did the widening with polystyrene discs and filled the seam with black milliput, then tried to camouflage everything with matt gray paint. Mr Model intake trumpets; Detailmaster orange wire with looms self made from bits of photoetched net; self made decals on the cylinder heads. Most tubular parts have been made from metal rod.
ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by pertti_jarla on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The "Kit" style of model making have become popular, bringing models within the reach of the unskilled and ill-equipped. -Pratley, Scale Model Cars (1956)

PanAmNut
Team Owner
Team Owner

Re: WIP Lotus 29 1:25

Post by PanAmNut »

Lotsa work there! Nice.

Cheers,

-elh-

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

Thanks for posting. I have the same kit waiting to be built so I will save your notes.
One question: Isn't the seat belt set up to modern for this car? I have problems finding information about the 1960'th seat belts but this picture of a Lotus 34 got me wondering:

Björn B

Topic author
pertti_jarla
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by pertti_jarla »

Orso wrote:Thanks for posting. I have the same kit waiting to be built so I will save your notes.
One question: Isn't the seat belt set up to modern for this car?
You may well be right! I used a photo of a museum Lotus 29 in Gurney colours, with a six point belt. But that may well be a later addition. At least my seat belts are far too light grey, I made the mistake of using the Gurney sister car seat belts as model. Clark used black.

If you want to, I can send you all my reference photos. The Ferguson "Team Lotus-Indianapolis years" book was very valuable.
The "Kit" style of model making have become popular, bringing models within the reach of the unskilled and ill-equipped. -Pratley, Scale Model Cars (1956)

marlborored
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna; Lotus, Clark
United States of America

Post by marlborored »

My gosh, what a transformation :!: :!: I would have never guessed this started off from that ancient kit :!:

ubik801
Midfield
Midfield

Post by ubik801 »

makes me want to built the gurney car.

don
don sprague
ubik801

Obi-Jiff
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Obi-Jiff »

Great work, I like it a lot. Especially as I have the same kit (unbuilt), and I can see some of the hard work that has gone into this.
pertti_jarla wrote:The Ferguson "Team Lotus-Indianapolis years" book was very valuable.
It certainly is - one of the best books I've ever bought on motor racing. Also very valuable for the MPC Lotus 56 turbine car.
Some say he believes Star Wars is a documentary...

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

Thank you for the offer of your reference photos. I just bought the same book so it isn't necessary but I am looking forward for more pictures of your model.

garymc
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: Gary McIntyre
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren, Senna
United States of America

Post by garymc »

Found these pictures if they might be of some help.
Attachments
605038388_22bc8a4fb6_b.jpg
605038570_f0b215b915_b.jpg
image05ts9.jpg
image06wb4.jpg

Topic author
pertti_jarla
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by pertti_jarla »

Those are good pics, especially the bottom ones. By the way, If you wonder about the plate holding the intake trumpets not looking quite straight, it has apparently come loose before the photo session. And one trumpet has some blu tack in it! As I said, Work In Progress..