My Pocher F40LM conversion

Post your best modeling tips here.

Topic author
SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Me
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: My wife. Just kidding!
United States of America

My Pocher F40LM conversion

Post by SeanMAIN »

Hello all

This is my first posting of my work. I have uploaded a few pics, the rest and best were too large to post. They included all of the body mods and pics of a yellow, red and white F40LM. I am torn between yellow and white. I want to make my unique, but red is a good default. I have machined many parts, including new shocks that are hight adjustable, steel brake disks, although I may go with carbon, new brake calipers, etc. I will retake the pics that were too large to post here. Any feedback would be great, good or bad. I hope to have this finished by the end of next year. I am currently in the process of drilling out the suspension arms to be able to mount with nuts and bolts. I am using the new SMS Clear Carbon decals extensively as they are absolutely brilliant. They are a little tricky, you have to prep the part you are laying them on very well as they are transparent and will show any imperfection below. I also used Solveset when applying and ruined three sheets before I reached out to Matthew at SMS. He suggested I change to Micro Set and that cleared up the problem.

I will post more pics soon and will post updates as I go. Next will be the suspension parts and the dash and wheel wells.

I would like any feedback you may offer.
Attachments
Door panel with the new SMS clear carbon decal. They are THE BEST, but a little tricky to use.
Door panel with the new SMS clear carbon decal. They are THE BEST, but a little tricky to use.
Machined half shafts anodized
Machined half shafts anodized
Engine pulleys
Engine pulleys
Machined waste gate
Machined waste gate
Machined brake hats and spindles.  Sorry, not a very good pic.
Machined brake hats and spindles. Sorry, not a very good pic.
Tremonia dash
Tremonia dash
Mock up of dash
Mock up of dash

Tony126c2
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Re: My Pocher F40LM conversion

Post by Tony126c2 »

Great looking conversion of the F40. :shock:
Regards
Ton

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where there's a will there's a way

PanAmNut
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by PanAmNut »

Lovely detail/machine work!

Cheers,

-elh-

Topic author
SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

Hello

I want to add some texture to the gearbox, like a real casting has a certain texture. Is there a paint on the market that has texture? I was told that the hardware store carries paint with texture, but that sounded odd to me.

Thank you in advance.

Sean

Topic author
SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
United States of America

Stripping primer Pocher F40LM conversion

Post by SeanMAIN »

Hello all

I have a question about stripping primer. I sprayed a whole bunch of parts to build many sub assemblies throughout the model and must have run across a contaminated can of primer. It went on really thick and shiny, and when dry was still a bit tacky, even after a week of curing. Need to strip this and start over. Many of the parts are small and already cleaned of any flash, ready to paint. I don't want to lose the detail, so something that will not damage the plastic. Any ideas?

Also, a while back, I asked a question about adding a bit of texture to the parts of the F40 that were cast. Although nobody answered my post, my local hobby store manager gave me a great tip I would like to share. He suggested Krylon Fusion for Plastic. It has a very subtle texture to it, just like a real casting. I have used it for many parts now, including the engine block, gearbox, bell housing, intake manifold, cam covers, and many more. It works incredibly well. Being a 1/8 scale, it looks perfect to scale. You can lay it down with some thickness and it looks great. I will post some pictures of the parts i have completed. I was very surprised just how well it worked. It comes in many colors, I used dark green, but I don't think the color really matters much, everything gets primed anyway.

Will post pictures later in the week if anybody is interested.

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Re: Stripping primer Pocher F40LM conversion

Post by lezdep »

SeanMAIN wrote: I have a question about stripping primer. I sprayed a whole bunch of parts to build many sub assemblies throughout the model and must have run across a contaminated can of primer. It went on really thick and shiny, and when dry was still a bit tacky, even after a week of curing. Need to strip this and start over. Many of the parts are small and already cleaned of any flash, ready to paint. I don't want to lose the detail, so something that will not damage the plastic. Any ideas?
I don't know what type of primer you've used, but try 90% Isopropyl Alcohol on couple of parts. It does not damage plastic and worked
for me on number of lacquer paints/primers. Leave parts for some time on Isopropyl Alcohol bath and them use old tooth brush and cotton swabs
to lift and rub off paint.

Topic author
SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

Hello

I have also restarted the F40LM project. The wheels are aluminum and look amazing in person. The engine is full of upgrades from RB Motion, Tremonia. Now that the brake kit is coming out from TVF1, it is time to finish this one.

The Tic Tac decal was a test to see how the Indycal decal sheet for the 1/8 Jordan 191 conversion from a 643 would look with the new printer they bought. It looks pretty damn good in 1/8.
Attachments
IMG_7386.JPG
IMG_7385.JPG
IMG_7383.JPG
IMG_7384.JPG
IMG_7388.JPG
FullSizeRender-4.jpg

f40
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by f40 »

:D Great start.I started my 1/8 scale Ferrari F 40 years ago. Believe it or not I am still working on it . I have incorporated the Autograph trans kit into it with a lot of my own scratch built parts it was posted here on the forum under Ferrari F 40 work in progress years ago. i will follow your WIP.