Guessing game - what new kit would Tamiya release if ever ?

For rumors about F1 scale models...

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Guessing game - what new kit would Tamiya release if ever ?

Post by lezdep »

I've heard this rumor more that ones and this time from source I personally trust. Doesn't
necessary mean it is more than rumor, but still. It was mentioned that new kit could be of
another red car. I had hard time to think of significant red car not released in plastic yet.
So, I decided to start guessing game and see how fast if ever we could figure out what red
machine would Tamiya release if they ever to release a new kit.

Note, don't put here car you want to be released, put here what you think Tamiya would
decide to release.

Let's go. Should be fun, imho.

f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Re: Guessing game - what new kit would Tamiya release if ever ?

Post by f1m »

I don't think it will be a red car. Unless you consider Toyota red. I think McLaren is a possibility.

Eric
lezdep wrote:I've heard this rumor more that ones and this time from source I personally trust. Doesn't
necessary mean it is more than rumor, but still. It was mentioned that new kit could be of
another red car. I had hard time to think of significant red car not released in plastic yet.
So, I decided to start guessing game and see how fast if ever we could figure out what red
machine would Tamiya release if they ever to release a new kit.

Note, don't put here car you want to be released, put here what you think Tamiya would
decide to release.

Let's go. Should be fun, imho.

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Canada

Post by lezdep »

If it is a McLaren, I would put MP4/5 and MP4/23 up front. One from MP4/2 series would
be next on my guess list, because of championships won back then.

jaymtford
Midfield
Midfield

Post by jaymtford »

It will probably be the Brawn BGP001... because I'm building the Studio27 kit now :lol:

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Yeah, no Ferraris: Fujimi and HSGW is doing it. No classic cars: HSGW and FJM are doing it.
So, I'd say 60% Brawn, 40% MP4/24.
Unless they do something uncredible but which they did in mid nineties: a mid field car. But this year, that might be a big name: Renault, Toyota... or a Force India!

MarcoSaupe
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: HHF
Germany

Post by MarcoSaupe »

Definitely no McLaren in M@r!b*r* design, considering they don't even put the usual graphics of the car on the box with the rereleases.
If red, than the T4 in 1:20, they could scale it down from the big one and it's Villeneuve.
If it's a new car, then the MP4/23 or the current Red Bull (remember those issues for the mm-kit makers with RB, maybe that's because RB and Tamiya have a deal).

plastiksurgeon
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by plastiksurgeon »

good thinkin' on the RB contract problems.....that could be it!

Is there really a substantial rumor that the big T is possibly releasing a new kit, or are we dreaming on our own here?

Best gentlemen, Steve mohlenkamp
when I was young, all the boys made model cars, ...some of us just never stopped !

smirkoff
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by smirkoff »

Tamiya could take ages to do a new F1 kit, but we can't deny that a new kit, for Tamiya, is a whole new package: it's the kit, the correct PAINT for the kit, the possibility of variants and, in recent years, the PE set and the possibility to have it as a completed model _and all the work Tamiya will have to pay to have these complete models with superb finish. From Fujimi or Hasegawa, you have kit, PEs (in Fujimi's case, from KA), decals (from Cartograf) and variants; the paints are in the Gunze-Sangyo (aka Mr. Creos) range.

That said, a current McLaren would be fantastic, because it implies a TS color for the metallic look. The same for the current Ferrari, with its pearly red. But I think a F2008 would be extraordinary from the Tamiya part, because of the two-layered paint scheme. Imagine two new TS paints for the same kit to be applied one over another!!

From other point of view, Tamiya seems to have a good relationship with Classic Team Lotus, so I wouldn't discard a Chapman creation or a Senna-driven turbo, something easy to research (Mr. Tamiya's obsession), that would sell a lot and could use the paints already in catalog.

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Canada

Post by lezdep »

James,

I don't think it could be this season or even last season car. Tamiya never released curbside
F1 kit, to my knowledge. And there isn't time and level of access Tamiya would need to make
full detail kit of recent car, imho.

Steve,

I'm very skeptical about prospect and treat this as another rumor. However because I heard
it from two sources already, I thought it could be fun to play the "game". I'm curious what could
we collectively figure out. I myself cannot see any other significant red car beside Shark Nose 156,
156/85 or T4 not released in plastic.

MarcoSaupe,

I agree T4 is a possibility. Lotus would be fantastic, but I somehow doubt it. I kind of expect
Hasegawa to continue with 312T and 312T4, so I think Tamiya would choose some other subject.

PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Post by PJE »

I do think that there is a "significant red car" that has not been done by any major manufacturer in 1/20th scale. The 1964 158, John Surtee's championship car. Also comes in blue and white. 8)

Paul Erlendson