Mclaren M23 1/8 scale re-build WIP

Forum for post, WIPs, and completed models for the 2009 Group Build.

Topic author
rasputen
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Mclaren M23 1/8 scale re-build WIP

Post by rasputen »

I have two parts kits that I have bought, but they are both damaged. One has a lot of heat damage, so the engine cover and rear wing are not useable. The second kit I bought has a useable engine cover but no rear wing at all. Thanks to Kitbash1, I was able to make a silicone rubber mold from his rear wing.
What's left of my only wing is on the upper left. The resin wing (third attempt) is on the lower left. This is the largest piece I have ever cast, and the mold took a huge amount of rubber to make!

CaptainMark
Top Designer
Top Designer

Re: Mclaren M23 1/8 scale re-build WIP

Post by CaptainMark »

Damn you're off the line quickly!
Looks like a good project, keep us posted.

Topic author
rasputen
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by rasputen »

Kitbash1 was a lifesaver as he sent me his rear wing so I could make a copy of it.
As a return favor, I am making him a resin copy of the cockpit cowling. This is only the
second two-part mold I have ever made, after the rear wing mold. Here I have the cowling
suspended over the mold box, with some clay and extra plastic glued to it, in order to make the bottom half of the mold.

Topic author
rasputen
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by rasputen »

Here is the first resin copy of the cockpit cowling, in front of the two mold pieces. I had to force the resin into the lower corners of the mold with a small blunt tool, to make sure that the thin piece across the back of the cowling would be free of bubbles. After pouring more resin into the lower half of the mold, I then pushed the insert in, forcing the resin around the rest of the mold (and making a mess). This mold and the mold for the rear wing are so large that they won't fit in my home-made vacuum chamber. I also had some wood pieces glued across the front part of the insert, so that it wouldn't sag under its own weight.

My only survivng cowling from the parts kits is at the right.