Exhaust manifold temp sensors

Post your best modeling tips here.

Topic author
BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Exhaust manifold temp sensors

Post by BigDuke6 »

Hi All - Would anyone care to share the best way of creating exhaust temp sensors on modern F1 cars?

I can understand the cable and the hole drilling bit, but what's the best way to add realism and detail to the join, or connector between the cable and the exhaust itself?

Thanks!
-Mark

lumpulus
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

RE: Exhaust manifold temp sensors

Post by lumpulus »

I just use a 1/24 or smaller antenna mount base from Sakatsu, and a small flange for the base.

seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Sean
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by seamus »

Mark,

on my 310B I used a short piece of cable with the plastic surround removed at end to leave a thinner section and then inserted this into a brass hex nut. A little long winded but worth it in the end as they are prominant details. I also added a little washer onto the exhaust pipe where the base of the sensor sits. Hope that makes sense, if not have a look at my 310B in my website, thee is a pretty clear picture of one there.

Hope that helps.

Topic author
BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by BigDuke6 »

Thanks Sean - I've seen that build and recall those sensors looking pretty good. I was worried that heat shrink wouldn't match the scale in that area, so perhaps it's time to invest in some teeny tiny washers & nuts.