Place your bets for next year now....

Got a rumor???

Topic author
TC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Place your bets for next year now....

Post by TC »

It looks like next year's champion will be a Mercedes guy! After all the cheating, lawsuits etc. did not work out this year, they managed to get it fixed for 2008: the standard engine electronics which all teams have to use starting next year will be the McLaren design!!! As you know, while many teams up to today used the Magneti Marelli system, the FIA have decided to accept the tender of a voint jenture between Microsoft (known for failsafe standard software... :oops: ) and 'McLaren Electronic Systems' a subsidiary company to McLaren. Of course McLaren claim that this company is completely independent from the race team - like they credibly claimed they did not have the Ferrari information and didn't seek to win the title with their lawsuit about the fuel temperatures of Williams and BMW in Brazil. But not only that they have a massive advantage in terms of being familiar with the system - according to a Renault chief designer, this "standard" thing is most obviously tailor made for one specific car... it's NOT the Ferrari, I guess! It does have an odd shape with funny connector places, it's sure not just "standard". But moreover, in order to adjust the electronics, all (!) teams have to supply some of their most delicate tech details to the company that builds these electronics boxes. so now that we now how faithful, sportsmanlike and fair Ron Dennis and his men are, who can have doubts about the coming champion to be one of them? Still having the Ferrari information may help, but seems to be almost irrelevant then. So better place your bets while the betting shops give a large quote with this year's mess...
forza Ferrari!!!

garymc
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: Gary McIntyre
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren, Senna
United States of America

RE: Place your bets for next year now....

Post by garymc »

Good conspiracy theroy,I wonder if it's...........

Gary

stuartmasson
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by stuartmasson »

It's certainly not new news. This was announced ages ago, and the teams have all had opportunities to test the new systems, even before the end of the season. Many teams were unhappy with the McLaren ECU, but they seem to have quietened down in recent times. My understanding is that at the recent Jerez test, most if not all of the teams were using the new ECUs.

stuart
I'm so fast i make Speedy Gonzales look like Regular Gonzales!

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

Post by billgtp »

I dont feel this is the why to go.I think they should be apply to map their own systems within a regulation.This can be done with no problem.Going to one one manufacture for a part has never worked in racing & has been tryed before.Also this is F1 where we are to see the best of the best
Is they wish to slow things down then do away with with the wings & get real tires back.Make the transmissions where the driver has to shift.No go karts.A clutch,remember those things
Just let the ECM control the engine & everything else is controled by the driver.
Maybe the drivers in the last 8 years forgot how to brake & shift a car without a control unit doing it for them
World Championship of drivers lets get back to it.Not the control units
My say.

stuartmasson
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by stuartmasson »

Bill makes a good point about limiting the electronic controls of the cars. There's a good reason Ferrari is getting Michael Schumacher to do some of its testing at the moment, as he has more familiarity without driver aids than Raikkonen, Massa, Badoer or Gene.

stuart
I'm so fast i make Speedy Gonzales look like Regular Gonzales!

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

If you're interested in non-traction control driving, have a look at the videos of Schumacher testing the F2007 at Barcelona (youtube and elsewhere). The powerslides are just awesome!

Looking forward to watching the skills (and mistakes) next year!