Preval Spray Gun for Alclad?

Ask away....

Topic author
Thomas26

Preval Spray Gun for Alclad?

Post by Thomas26 »

Hi there!

I´m modelling for several years now and I think its time to make better models. I have a few Tamiya 1/12 F1 cars on the pile, mainly older cars with lot of chrome/aluminium parts like the Ferrari 312T and the Tyrrell F1. Now this is my problem as I think the chrome sprues look a little bit toy like and I would like to paint them with alclad II paints. Unfortunately I have no airbrush and I don´t have a place in my little apartment for it.

Now I have found the preval spray gun (www.prevalspraygun.com) on the net and I just wonder if it´s possible to spray alclad paints with this thing. I have found out that the preval gun works with 4,4 bar air pressure and I know that alclad should be used with very low air pressure. So do you think it will also work with this high air pressure?

Thanks for reading!

Bye

Thomas

little-cars
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

RE: Preval Spray Gun for Alclad?

Post by little-cars »

Thomas,

You could try it, but If your aim is to chrome the parts, then they will need to be stripped and coated with gloss black enamel before the Chrome.

Ideally alclad should be applied at 12psi in very thin coats.
So I suspect you will be wasting your time..as the Paint will come out to quick and be uncontrolable.
Buying a cheap single action airbrush with an air can would I suspect product better results.

Topic author
Thomas26

Post by Thomas26 »

Thanks for your answer Paul! I think you are right, I will look after a cheap airbrush. I have seen Revel´s Starter class set. Do you think thats ok? I would only use it for the alclad paint, as I normally use Tamiya Spray paints.

little-cars
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by little-cars »

Thomas,

If it's just for Alclad it looks good for less than £20. But buy a can of airbrush cleaner and a spare air can (largest they have) with the brush.

Dont forget to check that the gloss black aerosol you are usung is an enamel based paint.

Put the air can in warm water to keep the pressure more consistant from the air can.

daves
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: David Sorensen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
United States of America

Post by daves »

I got some great tips on using Alclad chrome.
1. The surface needs to be perfectly smooth.
2. You can use Tamiya black for the undercoat.
3. Clear coat the black before spraying the chrome.

The clear coat gives the chrome more reflective powers.

DS

DS