Let's Talk About Rain Tires

Ask away....

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Let's Talk About Rain Tires

Post by Icon_Modeler »

I am relatively sure that there have never been any rain tire produced for the 70's era cars in 1/12 scale and to my knowledge only Studio 27 has ever produced a set for 1/20 with the ones they did for the M23 McLaren. Is this right?

How accurate are the Studio 27 tires?

Do you think there would be a market for 70's era rains in 1/12 and 1/20 scales?

If so, would resin castings be OK or would the F1Mers require rubber rains?

If resin is not OK then would injection molded vinyl be acceptable?

Or, is real rubber all that is acceptable?

Would you prefer Solid rubber or semi phnumatic (Hallow) like Tamiya?

Would you want the embossed logo on the side or would you rather stincel the lettering on the side of the tire?

I myself would not have a problem with resin castings as long as they fit the wheels that came in the kit I was putting them on. Also I have no doubt that resin castings would be far cheeper to manufacture then rubber or vinyl tires would be.

Let me know your thoughts, this is a small project I'm thinking of tackleing

PS. yes the P34 will be included.

Thanks,

Icon Modeler
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Topic author
marlborored
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna; Lotus, Clark
United States of America

Post by marlborored »

Overall, I believe rain tires are difficult for model manufacturers to produce as they are quite specific to the year in which they're used. Rain tires are constantly changing in tread design, so economically, I can see why model companies haven't cranked them out in numbers for a variety of cars and for a number of years. Tameo sometimes included rain tires with slicks in the early nineties, but they were quite generic in appearance.

Still, I think rain tires are a good alternative to slicks especially if depicting a certain race. I would use aftermarket rain tires if they could fit over the wheels without too much difficulty.

robrex
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Australia

Post by robrex »

I would be happy with injection molded vinyl tyres. I would much rather spray the manufacturers name on them as well, so long as the stencil was available.

Pancho

Post by Pancho »

Red 5 is producing modern rain tire tread that you glue onto your tires. It looks OK, but not REAL good. I'll just stay w/ slicks until someone can come up with a reasonable and good looking solution.

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

I think Meri have some 1/20 rain tires in their collection?

Would agree that stencil & spray is the way to go for all logos pre 1993. Anything post 93, go for a decal.

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

I have some Modeler's rain tires that fit the Ferrari F189 and supposedly the McLarens of the time.
Just for the record.......haven't checked how accurate they are....

I'd rather have something rubbery ( don't know how different vinyl is ) but i'd really not have raised lettering on the sidewalls.

Jacques
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Jacques
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
France

Post by Jacques »

in 1/20 Model factory Hiro brought a couple of rain tires with their 312T4, 126 CK, Toleman Monaco 84 GP, lotus 97T. I really like the shape of these tires but to be honest I dont know if they are 100% accurate and they are difficult to get as spare parts.

Studio27 just brought the "old new" Mc Laren MP4/2 Monaco 84GP, they also must have some rain tires. Does anyone have a picture of it.

For future release, I would prefer Tamiya type of rubber quality...but I would also be happy with resin tires if it allow us to have real accurate tires especially for 70's and 80's F1.

Anyway Icon modeler, I would be happy with every new accurate rain tires and I'd rather stencil the logo on the side of the wheels. I would also be happy to have 1/12 michelin 1979 and 1977 Goodyear rain tires !

Cheers

Jacques
Jacques

roly01
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by roly01 »

I have a pair of modellers raintyres, AFAIK these are good for '84/'85 to '91 (GOOD YEAR's).
I also have a MFH '75 312T onaco GP, with rain tyres, look great, but I think the inside diameter of the rears is rather small.

The only 1/12's I now of are of the Protar Alfa 179, the 1980 version.

S27 also made a pair of vinyl '91 rains for the mp4/6, not very good though.

But I would certanly very much love to have a pair of GOOD YEARS for the Tamiya '77 Tyrrell P34.

chongman
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by chongman »

So would I ! I looked at the current glue-on treads that are available and they might look okay on the rears but thinking that using them on the fronts would not look right...out of scale ?

I need them for 1/20 scale P34/77 :wink:
When you're racing, it's life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting Steve McQueen 1971

SWestern
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by SWestern »

Studio27 just brought the "old new" Mc Laren MP4/2 Monaco 84GP, they also must have some rain tires. Does anyone have a picture of it.
I have the original release and the tyres (and wheels) are utterly useless - look like truck tyres. I wrote about this somewhere else with an attached pic.

I would love to see some aftermarket rain tyres to suit 1/20 70's, 80's and 90's machines. For me they would have to be rubber or vinyl, resin is not good enough from my experience (Club M).