Instrument Lenses

Post away...

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Instrument Lenses

Post by gp-models »

indycals wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:41 pm I just use drops of clear gloss.
That`s my main solution as well, i use original car 2K clear which stays solid for very long. The only problem is that the lenses are not curved cause the clear dry flat, not a big problem in smaller scales, but 1:12 for example is a bit different.
Sometimes i stump the lenses from clear material.
Take a stand!

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

Almost all instrument dials' lenses are flat. This is not to create visual distortion of the dials.

Hence it should be fine to use clear coat for lenses.
C K
Canada

Grypham
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Canada

Post by Grypham »

Though I have yet to try them, there are new(ish) products from Mr. Hobby that should do the trick. The following are their descriptions:

Mr. Hobby
Mr Clear Coating Gloss UV Cut by Mr Hobby R193

Description

This super coating agent that exceeds even fluorine was generated using nano technology.

This water-soluble solution is a safe and environmentally friendly eco-friendly product that has high performance. This is effective for protection from color fading, stains, dirt, static electricity and ultraviolet rays and for prevention of deterioration of plastic model tire parts.

This can be used even on decals.

Usage method
Remove dirt or dust from the surface to be coated.
Apply coating evenly over the desired surface using tissue paper, etc.
Wipe with the dry cloth that came with this product when the coated surface has dried a little (approx. 30sec. ~ 1min.).

Mr Hobby Aqueous GH101 Premium Top Coat UV Cut Smooth Clear Matt (I believe there is a Gloss version of this as well, but did not see a listing at this hobby shop)

Description

Water-based premium topcoat matte, which is on sale as a matte coating material, contains a UV cut component” that reduces fading due to ultraviolet rays, and a smooth component that reduces frictional resistance on the surface and reduces scratches.

The added definitive edition will appear. Protect your important painted work from UV rays and scratches, and enjoy displaying it!

By adding a matting agent to the matte paint, the surface of the paint film is uneven and the light is diffusely reflected to remove the matte finish.

In addition to the features of the popular B602 Water-Based Premium Top Coat Spray and B603 Water-Based Premium Top Coat Spray, we added UV-cutting ingredients and scratch-reducing agents as super technologies to create a transparent finish. Improved scratch resistance while maintaining a fine matte appearance.

Also available: Mr Super Clear UV Cut Gloss Enamel Spray