Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Re: PLASTIC Upcoming F1 Releases 2023

Post by SBEST »

dancraft wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:58 am
Haha, I was just about to post this.

If the Meng 1/12 GT40 is anything to go by I’ll stick with my MFH thanks.

I think NUNU might be a bit surprised with this announcement 😳

Regards, Dan
What's the quality with Meng Models? Are they any good?

Steve

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Steve
From what i’ve seen, they are capable of tamiya-like models. Some of their military kits are beautiful.
however these renders suggest they may be taking the same design philosophy as the gt40 - slightly simplified and chunky details, but easy assembly.

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

43rdMichael wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:12 am Steve
From what i’ve seen, they are capable of tamiya-like models. Some of their military kits are beautiful.
however these renders suggest they may be taking the same design philosophy as the gt40 - slightly simplified and chunky details, but easy assembly.
Thanks. I suppose we will not know until we see a "test shot" or a kit in hand. As far as detail is concerned I am sure there will be those cottage industry folks that will come up with something.

In any case, the price point is better for me.

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

It would be interesting to see an actual comparison between the different kits once they have been released. I mean we had the Trumpeter GT40 and years later the Meng GT40. Neither model was perfect, but it wrong or "bad" in different ways. And that comparison should also take the price into consideration when reaching a verdict. When Meng released the Fokker DR.I in 1/32 (and later on in 1/24 as well) people started running their mouth how bad it is and all. We know now that that was basically the WNW kit that didn't get released before the company vanished. And considering what you got for your money it was and still is a superb kit - but again, this wasn't a Meng designed kit, they just manufactured it. And it's not like the Hiro kits are all super accurate either - we've seen the odd weird shape, think Bug 35 tail for instance and other parts like the forward edges on the nose of the 917s...
Supposedly 150 bucks for that kit seems quite alright considering what the Macca F1 kit from Tamiya is going for these days. It's just a shame that this will probably render the NuNu superfluous really.
Cheers,
Roman

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

sky1911 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:29 am
Supposedly 150 bucks for that kit seems quite alright considering what the Macca F1 kit from Tamiya is going for these days. It's just a shame that this will probably render the NuNu superfluous really.
Yes, the way I look at it there is something for everyone. If you want detail you may want to consider MFH. If you want current cars you consider the 1/20th resin being offered. If you like 1/8th that is for you as well. So, to me its a good thing.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

I’m happy I admit it :D
For me it’s a no brainer. It’s a YES even if it’s just an upscaled Tamiya 89 kit, which I reckon it’s not. It looks significantly better.
Same way the 99T is too expensive for me.
I’d have preferred a more “declinable “ model. But it’s a yes, I repeat :mrgreen:
Ps: I get old and tend to forget things...was there a Nunu 1/12 MP4/4 already announced? :shock:

Marcel
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Marcel
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Germany

Post by Marcel »

Perhaps we get the same kit with the choise of the early version from nunu and the late version from Meng...

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

I would be really shocked if that price holds up. We all know that these preorder prices can change significantly between the initial announcement and the actual release. With the Meng GT-40 coming in north of $300 USD compared to the much less expensive Trumpeter kit I would imagine the Meng MP4/4 release price to be much higher. I'll stick to my MFH kit. By the time you buy the Meng kit and any potential upgrades to go with it you are probably going to be up to the same end cost anyway. About the only good thing I can think of with Meng releasing an MP4/4 is that maybe it will force Nunu to get off their arse and deliver what the promise in a more timely fashion.
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

The good thing about Meng doing this kit is that Meng is pretty reliable about delivering the products they announce in a timely fashion. I thought it would be a year hour but Meng says this is a july release. The Gt-40 ran about a year from announcement to release for comparison. NuNu has announced a kit but their 99T has not even made it to market yet as far as I can tell. For a year they have made it feel like the 99t was out any day and it keeps dragging along. As to MFH vs Meng, I have tried a couple MFH kits and just can't get over the finish line with them so I am looking foreword to this. With the weight of the metal parts combined with how soft the metal is, I have had in every case major sideways issues with MFH.

I intended to buy the Meng Gt-40, however I always thought some details still felt toy like and so have not built one. Also too many other projects. I have the Italeri Bugatti and am very much looking foreword to that build at the moment.

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

cbk57 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:42 am With the weight of the metal parts combined with how soft the metal is, I have had in every case major sideways issues with MFH.

This is why I sold my MFH and gave it a pass. Yes, Meng might be "toy-like" but it gives options for others.