fdbotha
Spectator
Spectator
Your Name: Francois
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

1/12 Formula 1 Figures - Cut and Match?

Post by fdbotha »

I am new to this forum and haven't built a 1/12 F1 for over 40 years. My first model was the Ferrari 312B when I was 14. By 17 eventually did the regular culprits of the 70s, with the Tamiya pit crew set and tools. Then life took over and haven't ventured back in. One of my issues have always been the lack of figures related to F1 in 1/12 scale. Every diorama usually has the same four Tamiya figures. The two mechanics' heads as well as the driver also look almost identical (same mold?) Recently, some 3D printed figures became available from the usual suspected auction sites ( mainly driver specific) but can be really expensive (between $50-$100 US).

I am planning a pit diorama in 1/12 with the 312T of Lauda in the South African GP in 1975. I am thinking about cutting the Tamiya figures in half and match different tops to different bottoms, and switching arms to form a totally new figure. I have also ordered action figure heads in 1/12 scale that I hope to fit onto the bodies to get new characters (hope their idea of 1/12 is the same as Tamiya). Gaps will certainly exist, mainly at the belt level, which I hope to fill with putty. I will post updates as I go along.

My question is this: Has anyone tried this already and can give me tips and tricks for this venture?

ah100m
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: William Schmidt
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Rob Walker Racing
United States of America

Re: 1/12 Formula 1 Figures - Cut and Match?

Post by ah100m »

Model Factory Hiro make some driver figures, standing, that really look like the driver. Expensive though. Probably the ones you're referring to.

I've been looking for a Phil Hill model to stand next to my MFH 1/12 Ferrari 335S to no avail. Can you share your progress/success in re-purposing other figures? I'd really like to know the specifics. You may want to visit some figure modeling forums for tips on modifying figures. I used to be a figure modeler, mainly 54mm and 90mm (approx 1/35 and 1/18) and it's easier to modify figures than cars!

Topic author
fdbotha
Spectator
Spectator
Your Name: Francois
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by fdbotha »

I will share any insights I learn, I hope to start in the next week or so (mid September). In the meantime, if anyone has some of these old Tamiya figures laying around and want to donate or sell cheaply for my research project, please let me know.

tubegenius
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

I can donate a standing driver figure with some extra arms and legs, if that will help. PM me if interested.

Edit: Cadavers needed for Abby Normal brain? :lol: :lol:

Hacksaw
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Hacksaw »

Back in the day Airfix did a range of 1/12 scale military and historic figures which for some reason included a boy scout. The military and historic figures wouldn’t be much good for your application but I used the boy scout figure as a basis for a mechanic. At the time petrol stations were giving away free gifts one such was a series of 1/12 scale heads of football players. Lots of body putty to make the trousers and the head of Allen Ball (England World Cup Team) gave me a somewhat crude mechanic, but I was young and knew no better.

Airfix also did a James Bond and Odd Job diorama which I intended to modify into figures for the Tamiya Honda.

These kits do crop up on e-bay at eye-watering prices but you never know what you might find amongst the “glue bombs” or in charity shops.

Hacksaw

Seema
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Martin Seelos
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Williams, Toleman, Mclaren.
Austria

Post by Seema »

Hello fdbotha
Steve Mohlenkamp is here in the forum, unfortunately I can't remember his forum name. He made a complete boxing diorama for his MP4/6. Looks fantastic. He also took some Hiro but also other figures that he mixed together in different ways. He is also on FB. It's worth watching his dio and exchanging ideas.
The forum name is plastic surgeon. Check out his posts. Scroll down a bit on page 2.
Seema