F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Marcel
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Germany

Tamiya and semigloss range

Post by Marcel »

Hello.
Does anybody know why Tamiya has only a small semigloss range in their colors? Is ther a way to mix them to a semigloss shine? When I take a semigloss clear coat it don't work over gloss colors. Any Tips and hints?

Marcel

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Tamiya and semigloss range

Post by SteveNoble »

You can get some matting agent that you add to the gloss colours and it will give you a semi-gloss or matt finish depending on how much you add. It's called Tamiya X-21 Flat Base..
Steve Noble

tubegenius
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

Be aware that X-21 is, as the name suggests, a base to mix with other colors. I found out the hard way that it is not flat clear, as I brushed some over a seat belt decal. I had used gloss clear under the decal to make it adhere better, then X-21 to restore the flat finish. It turned milky white as it dried. I should have used XF-86 Flat Clear for that job. Oops.

Topic author
Marcel
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Germany

Post by Marcel »

Yes, that could be a solution i thought about, mix x-21 flat base in the wanted color. But at which ratio? What happen when I mix aflat with agloss color?
I think I don't come arround try and error.

Marcel

accuracing
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Villeneuve
Canada

Post by accuracing »

Hi (Bonsoir)

Recommended ratio for flat base additive is 10% to 15% for semi gloss, 30 % for flat finish. More than that will be unnecessary.

Mix well the added flat base to avoid white spots on your painted surface.

Using XF-86 is also a good alternative. It is basically the equivalent of Tamiya clear with some flat base in it .

Cheers!

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

Hi Marcel,

There is no quick way. If you are using Tamiya paints that have both gloss and matt in the same color, 1:1 ratio usually gives you a good semigloss result. However, semigloss is a very loose term. So experiment with the ratio of two paints or use the flat agent. I have a bottle of Tamiya flat agent for over 20 years and only use half of it. Be sure test the mixed paint on a plastic spoon or scrap pieces before on your subject. Too much flat agent will turn white even with color paints.
C K
Canada

dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

I've used Tamiya Flat Base, and found it very tricky to get the mixture right, plus, if you want a consistent sheen over a lot of parts painted at different times, getting the same mix is pretty much impossible. As others have said, even mixed with clearcoats (Tamiya or Klear) I sometimes got the dreaded white residue. Far easier to paint the base colour and overcoat with Tamiya Semi Gloss Clear IMO.

Topic author
Marcel
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Germany

Post by Marcel »

Thank you all that is good inspiration to test arround with different possibilities