Getting back in the hobby. Where is a good starting point?

Ask away....

Topic author
cooperclimax1
Formula e
Formula e

Getting back in the hobby. Where is a good starting point?

Post by cooperclimax1 »

I'm returning to the hobby and want to build the current F1 cars. Any thoughts on where to start?

viperdoug
F2
F2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: SENNA
United States of America

Re: Getting back in the hobby. Where is a good starting poin

Post by viperdoug »

open a bank account ...........

Look for Tamiya kits as they are the best around, Ebbro is a close second. They only somewhat current F1 kits are the Tamiya Ferrari and Mclaren kit by Ebbro. Also Fujimi has a couple kits from a few years ago. But most of all have fun!

Topic author
cooperclimax1
Formula e
Formula e

Post by cooperclimax1 »

Thanks Doug. I'm gping to contact my banker.

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

Depending on how long the absence from modelling has been, maybe an older car like the Lotus 79 would be a good start to get going again. The modern cars have so much crap sticked to the wings and lot of CF to be added.

Topic author
cooperclimax1
Formula e
Formula e

Post by cooperclimax1 »

Well remembering that Tamiya always created a quality product I decided to go with the Ferrari SD 70h. Does anyone make upgrade kits for this?

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Orso wrote:Depending on how long the absence from modelling has been, maybe an older car like the Lotus 79 would be a good start to get going again. The modern cars have so much crap sticked to the wings and lot of CF to be added.
I always recommend the Lotus 99T. One color, easy body work and a small amount of parts. The Lotus 79 still has a fair amount of extra parts that require putty if you want a smooth finish.
cooperclimax1 wrote:Well remembering that Tamiya always created a quality product I decided to go with the Ferrari SD 70h. Does anyone make upgrade kits for this?
Studio 27 makes a carbon fiber set for it, but I don't think there has been much else.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Maybe you study some shops to see what`s on the market, don`t know your prefered type of models, plastic kits are a good starting point, multimedia kits are difficult to start with cause you need a lot of tools to build them. Next step is detailing such plastic kit, to see what`s on the market watch those links as example for what is out there, much easier to give a an overview.
https://www.hiroboy.com/home.html
https://www.spotmodel.com/

There are several other shops too where you can search, it should only be a guide for your search.
Take a stand!