Ask away....

Topic author
Dougboy
F3
F3

Painting Brakes

Post by Dougboy »

Hi everyone,

I've painted brake discs and hubs before with thinned paint and a brush with limited success. Just want to ask if there is a specific method or technique you guys use for the brakes.

I'd like to try and use an airbrush for a better finish but I'm unsure of how to mask. They are tiny and the round curves are very hard to mask between the rotors and hubs. It's made especially difficult on Tamiya kits where the caliper is moulded to the discs so it's 3 different colors on a tiny piece.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

MarcoSaupe
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: HHF
Germany

Re: Painting Brakes

Post by MarcoSaupe »

First paint the whole part with the rotor colour, then mask them off with a liquid mask, like Micro Mask. As there is usually a step between rotor and hub you should get a good edge there, now airbrush with the hub colour.
I usually paint the calipers with a brush, or sometimes even a paintmarker, or I get the colour from a pintmarker and paint that per brush.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

I typically paint the rotor first. Then I'll mask the entire rotor/hub section and use this as the mounting point to paint the caliper. After this, I mask the caliper and rotor with tamiya tape and paint the hub.

I'm going to start using liquid masks more so I can get better lines and also simply be a bit faster.

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Post by Dede »

As an altrernative to a liquid mask, try "Blu Tack", I find it very useful for masking off Callipers and hub centres, it is reusable over and over again also. cover where you want masked and use a scalpal to press, shape and cut it to the edge of the paint line.
Dede.

935k3
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by 935k3 »

I use a metal circle template. Get the appropriate size and lay tape across hole and a cut with a sharp blade.

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

Paint the rotor. Use circle template to mask rotor and spray the hub colour. Then paint the caliper by hand, usually with an enamel based paint and a fine tipped brush, thinning the paint slightly to help it flow out better..
Steve Noble

Topic author
Dougboy
F3
F3

Post by Dougboy »

Thank you for all the tips and pointers. Seems like I need to add liquid mask and/or circle template to my arsenal