CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Re: No more Ferrari?

Post by CK »

On a bright side, may be another company has signed an exclusive license agreement with Ferrari for 2019 and beyond.

So there will probably still be new Ferrari models available but not from MFH.
C K
Canada

Topic author
capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

If so who could it be?
Tamiya?
They still got a license for 1/20,or?
Now back in 1/12?
Don't think so.
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

racingkars
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Netherlands

Post by racingkars »

Please let me have my red ones, and you can have all the ones you want. I won't spoil your fun!
Kars

http://www.racingkars.nl (WIPs)
http://www.racingkars.com (sales)
Websites in Nederlands/English
English is not my native language, so sorry for any incorrect words or style... I have no intention to offend you.

ferrarissimus
World Champion
World Champion
Germany

Post by ferrarissimus »

Hi Kars,
I'm with you, the last Ferrari they will produce will be the last MFH model for me.
Regards Chris (ferrarissimus)

SuperMele
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Jurgen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team: Jordan F1 Team. (Ej10, Ej11, F191, gorgeous cars)
Driver: Mika Häkkinen
Belgium

Post by SuperMele »

No 1/12 F40 :cry:

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

If memory serves me well then I think we have had this before from MFH a few years ago. Sound like Ferrari want to much for the licensing rights. It will also be an issue for all kit makers I suggest.

smb
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Maserati
Egypt

Post by smb »

I love Ferrari, but good riddance. There are many other beautiful cars waiting to be immortalized in resin and white metal!

racingkars
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Netherlands

Post by racingkars »

smb wrote:I love Ferrari, but good riddance. There are many other beautiful cars waiting to be immortalized in resin and white metal!
Sure there are, i just specialized in Ferrari.
And maybe MFH did a lot of them because it was the 'best selling product'?
Kars

http://www.racingkars.nl (WIPs)
http://www.racingkars.com (sales)
Websites in Nederlands/English
English is not my native language, so sorry for any incorrect words or style... I have no intention to offend you.

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi all,

I hope this news won't elevate all the remaining Ferrari MFH kits to even more out-of-reach prices. Anyone care to sell a limb for a 1:12 312T2 kit?

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

sky1911 wrote: (mofo to the rescue?)
Thanks for the vote of confidence. :lol:

The short answer is, it's complicated, because there are a bunch of variables: MFH's contract with Ferrari; MFH's contract/s with retailers; how interested MFH are in renewing the contract in the future, etc.

If the license agreement is super strict, Ferrari may have demanded that all products be withdrawn from sale at the termination date. This happened with Fine Molds and the Star Wars license - when Bandai took over, FM had to stop producing kits, destroy their tooling or sell them to a company that was licensed (apparently), and withdraw their existing kits from the market (though that may have been pressure from Bandai "pull their kits or you can't get ours").

That seems pretty unlikely to me, though, since MFH are a small company, mostly selling to other small companies (like Mac). Plus, Tamiya has had their Ferrari license come and go, and the kits weren't pulled from retail. They just stopped making more.

Which brings us to MFH's future plans. First and foremost, it's possible that they just didn't want to release m/any more Ferrari subjects. The license is expensive, so if you're drawing up a list of the next couple of years' releases, it would make sense to cram all the Ferraris into 2018, then let the license lapse so you don't have to pay in 2019 or 2020. What seems like a bummer on F1M may just be a business decision for MFH. And if they're not desperate to get the license back and are willing to push their luck (or think they can get away with it), they could always 'discover' a hidden pile of kits they'd 'lost' in the back of the warehouse, or release new stuff under a one-off cut-out brand. There's a long tradition of unlicensed cottage industry car kits, and everyone plays along well enough to not get caught. (see: M@r!b*r*)

Realistically though, I suspect that not much will change; they just won't release any Ferrari kits for a while. The stuff that they've released will still be available until it gradually dries up, just like it always does. Things might sell out a little faster if everyone starts panic buying, but I doubt the kits will get yanked from the shelves.

TL;DR: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , but probably NBD in terms of what they've already released.
Je ne regrette rien.