Another McLaren MP4/6

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Re: Another McLaren MP4/6

Post by turboF1 »

notime4me wrote:"It seems that some air funnel trumpets turn to burned metal color in used engines, just like the exhaust system."

The picture is probably from a restored MP 4/6 and the metal trumpets replaced by carbon fiber hence the dark color. I don't think it would ever get that hot at the intake end (raw gas injected here/ fed outside air through the snorkel).
That picture shows a Honda mechanic who is wearing a uniform. I think that's a pic of the original car. A restored car would not be serviced by someone dressed like that. I'm pretty sure. Plus those intake trumpets look metallic to me.

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

turboF1 wrote:That picture shows a Honda mechanic who is wearing a uniform. I think that's a pic of the original car. A restored car would not be serviced by someone dressed like that. I'm pretty sure. Plus those intake trumpets look metallic to me.
Hmmm..., I wouldn't be so sure about the mechanic.

I've seen old 1960s Honda, and 1980s and 90s McLaren-Honda cars, rolled out for TV shows here in Japan, and the Honda employee-mechanics who loving tend the cars, are always wearing uniforms like that -- plain, crisp white overalls. So I think the photo with a mechanic, was taken at a Honda revival exhibition or demonstration run, for the public. Honda do hold events like that every couple years, at places like Suzuka. We see similar photos in Japanese car magazines here regularly.

What's more, the Honda mechanics who tended McLaren-Honda cars, back in their 1980s and 90s race days, always had McLaren logos and other sponsor badges on their sleeves. The uniforms looked different. White shirts with badges, and black shorts/ trousers I believe. Never overalls. That's another reason I think the photo was taken more recently. Not when the MP4/6 was new.

Knowing that, however, still doesn't tell you how many parts were, or were not changed... :wink:

Cheers, Chris

Topic author
Acinonyx
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Acinonyx »

Thanks for all the replies my friends. Indeed the pic of the mechanic is from a show and not from a real race.
But I think the trumpets are genuine.
I took your remarks into account and I removed the burned metal color on the trumpets (fortunately easy to do).
Concerning the carbon fibre, a bit rough I agree but i tried a lot of other solutions before and I was not so pleased.
Redo the whole thing would be tedious so I think I'll stay with that... Not too bad with naked eye.
I guess every model must have its weaknesses ;-)
In the meantime, I worked on the electric connections... Not the easiest part ! Hope to find time to send pics next week.
Also received spare parts from Senninha so I could be able to improve the radiators...
THANK YOU Christian for your invaluable help !

Topic author
Acinonyx
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Acinonyx »

Here are the pics

Like I said earlier, not the easiest part of the work !
Click and enjoy in HD : details highlighted by focus stacking ;-)

RE60B
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Cédric
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: RENAULT
France

Post by RE60B »

high level. i follow it with great attention.

cheers,

cédric

gavrob
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: Gavin Roberts
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lewis Hamilton
Great Britain

Post by gavrob »

Excellent work, I love all the detail. When are you planning to add the sponsor decals on the sides of the monocoque, beneath the rollover hoop?

kimi_8
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Paul
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Leclerc
Great Britain

Post by kimi_8 »

good lord :)

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

pretty amazing, nice!

Can i ask, were did you get the cross slotted/philips screw heads you used (like in last pic)? Are the just photo-etch, or rivet like with stems?

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

Topic author
Acinonyx
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Acinonyx »

Thanks a lot for the positive comments !
Concerning the Shell and Marl... decals on the lateral sides of the monocoque the ones I have are not on scale. I applied some at the beginning but removed them to find some more adapted... Actually waiting for another set...
Dag Wim en bedankt ! Hoe gaat het ? You are not the first one to ask me questions about that :-)
The cross type screw heads are photo-etch and from Hobby Design.
Ref. HOBBY DESIGN HD02-0137
Not so easy to find but still available on Ebay or HERE

senninha
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by senninha »

that will be the best mp4/6 ever built.. congrats for the fantastic result... im looking forward to see my parts :mrgreen: