Topic author
tubegenius
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Safety pull ring

Post by tubegenius »

I am finishing my Protar 1/12 Ferrari 126c2 and have a question: The pull ring on the roll hoop is I think either a fire extinguisher activator or an engine kill device? Since the other end is fully visible on this Ferrari, I am wondering what the connection would be made of and where it would go. I would like to include a picture of what I am referring to, but I have no idea how to do this :roll: I'm confident many of you know the ring I'm asking about. Thank you in advance.

cincinnatif1guy
F3
F3

Re: Safety pull ring

Post by cincinnatif1guy »

oddly enough im currently working on this same exact model. im also wondering the same thing!!!

(following intently)

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

It's an electrical circuit general switch off. That;s why it was marked "E".
I'll try to find a pic, but it probably goes towards the electrical box area and gets buried there.
First you gotta learn to post pics :D I think there's a post explaining that, somewhere. There are several quite easy ways.

smbrm1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: BRM, Lotus, Ferrari
Canada

Post by smbrm1 »

Hi

The FIA Yearbook tends to deal with annual rule changes vs. every rule detail. The provision cross referencing was sometimes confusing without the full Appendix and sometimes hard to put in full context.

The following appear to be relevant to your question.

Appendix J Article 269 of the 1972 FIA yearbook quotes the following:

" ....A fire-extinguishing system of at least 5 kg extinguishing capacity. This system must include a a manual triggering device which can be operated by the driver on board as well as by any helper outside the vehicle. The Triggering device must be indicated by a red circle with the letter E."

Appendix J Article 298 b) 1972 FIA Yearbook quotes: " Provision for a clearly indicated external emergency handle which can be actuated by the circuit personel even at a distance of with a hook. The emergency handle will simultaneously initiate the fire extinguisher, cut off the engine and isolate the battery. applicable as from 1st July 1972."

Appendix J Article 297 f) 1972 FIA Yearbook quotes:

"Electrical Circuit breakers: ....since 1st January 1969...general circuit breaker....is a mandatory for all cars taking part in speed races. For Formula Cars, this circuit breaker must be indicated by s blue triangle with a spark and be easy to reach from inside as well as outside the car."

Compliance with these requirements may have been resolved with combined solutions?
One of the best visible examples of this topic was a recent( in the last year) discussion on the forum about the "handle" & battery disconnect and the Lotus 72.

These requirements were fundamentally in place for many years and in modern form still exist today.

How Ferrari on the 126c2 managed this issue would require other specific references.

Hope this helps.

Stephen
Speed Details

Topic author
tubegenius
Top Designer
Top Designer
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

Steve and James, I appreciate your input. I'm going to guess that the connection would be a mechanical cable of some kind. I'll probably use a piece of grey or silver tubing and let the other end disappear into the cowling. I am not obsessively detail oriented, but I hate to see it hanging there naked in plain sight.

DiemenRacer
Midfield
Midfield

Post by DiemenRacer »

The circle with E sticker is for the fire extinguisher pull.
A battery cut off is marked by a triangle with a lightning bolt in it.
I don't know the specifics of a 126C2. It is possible the pull operates 2 cables, one to a Master Switch to cut power and another to the extinguisher head.
Electrical actuation of the extinguisher was popular in the 80s. I think F1 used them for awhile, I seem to remember problems with them going off while on track. Electrical actuators lost favor in the amateur ranks quickly because the first thing a kid would do is push the red button on the dash. That was expensive and usually ended the racing for the weekend unless a spare bottle was available. Now everyone uses manual cable pulls with a safety pin to prevent accidental discharge.
Mark
Last edited by DiemenRacer on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jeep
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Jean-Pierre Bastien
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alain Prost
Canada

Post by Jeep »

Have you looked at our guide? A few of the pictures might help (see URL in the signature below).
Jeep

The Walter Wolf WR-1 Home Page
http://WolfWR1.free.fr

The Ferrari 312T4 Spotter's Guide
http://bit.ly/10f3Vtj

The Ferrari 126C2 Spotter's Guide
http://bit.ly/1oxy29H

Gilles Villeneuve's McLaren M23 Spotter's Guide
http://bit.ly/1VZFAkJ

Gilles Villeneuve's Ferrari 312T3 Modeller's Guide
https://bit.ly/2l5z6Ia

accuracing
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Villeneuve
Canada

Post by accuracing »

Hi

I took a while before I could look into it, but here is a selection of close ups that may help you.

Some are from a CK, since they are quite similar.
Just in case you did not know, the two Hex shape items facing forward are fire extinguisher nozzles.
They are standard Ferrari features of the era.

Cheers
ring1.jpg
ring1.jpg (33.92 KiB) Viewed 165 times
ring2.jpg
ring2.jpg (97.75 KiB) Viewed 165 times
ring3.jpg
ring4.jpg
ring5.jpg
ring5.jpg (20.55 KiB) Viewed 165 times
ring6.jpg

Topic author
tubegenius
Top Designer
Top Designer
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

Thanks a lot James for the close up photos. I was wondering what those 2 fittings on the roll hoop were, I thought Protar had made a mistake. Makes sense now.

accuracing
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Villeneuve
Canada

Post by accuracing »

Hi again

Glad that they will help you with your build.

To avoid any further confusion, I'm not James.
James B avatar features green frogs.

Cheers

Marcel (AKA accuracing)