Terry
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chris Amon
New Zealand

Re: Rating MFH Pictorial Series and Sportscar Spectacles

Post by Terry »

Hi Stephen,
I'll take another look at the 99T later in the day and confirm. I'll also send you a pm with something slightly off topic.
Cheers,
Terry
smbrm1 wrote: Formulanone
Looking at this again and wondering? The area of my intersest is the electronics/ancillaries on the left side between the forward mounted radiator and the mid mounted turbocharger intercooler that can be seen with the body work off?

Any comments, thoughts, opinions appreciated from anyone on whether the 99T profile provides useful details for building the 99T?

You indicated there were 19 detail pages. What is the split between 99T detail pages and 100T detail pages.

thanks

Stephen

Terry
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
New Zealand

Post by Terry »

Vol 26 Lotus 49 1967
Lotus 49 5AX 40 detail pages out of 78
Lotus 38 5AX about 6 detail pages out of 11
Lotus 48 5AX about 4 detail pages out of 8

Stephen, I've separated out the ratings for the 3 cars in this issue. This issue is full of really useful racing images (includes Dutch, Belgian, French, British, German and Italian Grands Prix) many of which I've never seen before. Easily the best detail book in the series imho. Very crisp black and white detail photos and the colour photos have good exposure and a natural colour balance with a tinge of graininess typical of colour film at that time.

Topic author
smbrm1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: BRM, Lotus, Ferrari
Canada

Post by smbrm1 »

Thanks for the update. This file has been quiet for a while. There have been several new books since your latest entry and the previous one. Any owners of the unreported copies, feel free to contribute your updates.

Terry
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
New Zealand

Post by Terry »

gablet wrote:Vol.18 Lotus 72&76 Part II 1973-75
1AY 11 detail pages out of 98 (11.2%)
Full of racing images, VERY few detail pics.
Not worth the money IMHO, maybe less useful than Vol.12
Vol.18 Lotus 72&76 Part II 1973-75 1AY 16 detail pages out of 98
I'd concur with Gablet's review of this issue although I counted 16 detail pages, but this has no impact on the rating of 1AY. Obviously what constitutes a detail image can be debated, but as it stands Gablet's comment "very few detail pics" is an accurate summation. There are no detail images of the Lotus 76 at all in this issue, only some racing images. I do however think it is worth the money purely because it's an important historical document with racing images of the JPS Lotus team mostly captured in colour, and hence a rich resource for diorama builders.

Vol. 22 Ferrari 156/85 and F186 - combined score 2AX 29 detail pages out 98
Breaking this volume down into the two cars featured:
156/85 2AX 15 detail pages out of 55
186 3AX 14 detail pages out of 42
This issue is a little deceptive with its detail images. Some are extreme close ups and I must say it is amusing to see how poorly masked the Ferrari badge on a 156/85 nose cone actually is, not that I'd try to replicate this on a model however. :lol: If I were looking to super detail a model I would certainly need to look elsewhere for further closeup body off photo references.

Vol. 23 McLaren MP4/6 and MP4/6B 1991-92 3AX 30 detail pages out of 98
This issue will be very useful for detail builders. While the number of detail pages at 30 does not look particularly impressive, 20 of the pages at the rear of the book are chock full of detail images taken of the car (from the Honda collection I assume) outdoors in ideal slightly overcast light. There is 1 page of details out of 8 in total attributed to the MP4/6B (used in the 1992 South African and Mexican GP's)

GT-F2
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by GT-F2 »

MFH number 30 Mclaren MP4/5 1989

This book follows a similar format as No23 on the Mp4/6, there are 34 pages covering eleven of the grand prix's of which there are only one and a half pages of detail shots (of the engine). It is followed by sixty pages of superb quality photographs covering almost every area of the car, the pics are of the Honda Collection machine and should be more than enough reference for the modeller to fully detail the Fujimi kit of the type.
The only slight dissapointment is that no photographs of the early season gearbox were provided, I can only assume that they were not readily available to the publisher.
Highly recommended.