For rumors about F1 scale models...

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: Are hobby shops dying?!

Post by daveyman »

That's the thing about a shop, you can just drop in and have a look at one thing, maybe the shop would also sell toys, but end up trying a starter kit just as an impulse buy. Surely a great way to introduce youngsters to the hobby. I would imagine that a parent would be less likely to search out a kit on the net and order it unless the child is very keen! This is an important function of the model shop but I doubt it is enough to base a business on so it's probably best served by the likes of hobbycraft etc. I know one thing I used to enjoy about going to my LHS was the chatting with fellow enthusiasts but I can get that on this forum now. I think it's just the way our shopping habits are changing, look how many high street stores have closed recently. Shops are starting to look very archaic.
That was some good advice Warren, you did the kid a favour, hope they stick with building! One other thing, when I went to an airshow a couple of years ago Airfix had a building tent where parents could help their kids build a free 1/72 aircraft, what a great idea to encourage young builders, and maybe even some parents to give the hobby a try. Good thinking Airfix!

Zuff
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nigel Mansell
Wales

Post by Zuff »

And now, the sole remaining UK model shop chain (ModelZone) has just gone into administration.

I looked in the mirror the other day and got a shock when I saw a stegosaurus looking back!

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Wow, talk about a long-lived thread! Started nearly seven years ago!?

Good call on the kid about to buy a kit above his skill level, Warren.

For what it's worth, things have changed in Japan too. Most of the small stores are long gone. The biggest, Mr Craft (which owned the Modeler's brand - think Ferrari F92A) suddenly closed its doors several years ago. I wasn't the only one to go there, and be surprised to find a slot machine parlour in its place.

There are still a few hobby shops downtown, but they're constantly down-sizing or going more towards figures and Gundam robots. The one doing best seems to be Yodobashi Camera, a huge sprawling place that's really an electronics & appliances store. Their side business selling kits and paints at decent prices survives, however, because they can buy huge quantities in bulk. Seems only the Walmart business model works in the real world, now-a-days.

How times have changed...
Chris

Terry
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chris Amon
New Zealand

Post by Terry »

Eagle50 wrote:How times have changed...
Chris
Changed indeed, even HLJ has a homepage that looks like a watered down sex shop. Impossibly large breast implanted dolls spewing out of the front page. Some days I think HLJ stands for Hobby Lecher Japan and half expect the cops to break down my door, cuff me and lock me up. :shock: What's it going to look like in another ten years? :?

SeaBee
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by SeaBee »

Fortunately I have a link straight into the cars and bikes section! Yes, I am that lazy...

gregg
F3
F3

Post by gregg »

The shop a 1/4 mile from my house closed 30 JUNE. It wasn't for lack of sales, the owner retired and there was no buyer. If I only had the funds...

hirofkd
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by hirofkd »

Eagle50 wrote:For what it's worth, things have changed in Japan too.
Chris
At least you are in Tokyo, one of the best places to be a model builder.

I'm happy to learn that my favorite mom-and-pop hobby stores that I've known for 40+ years are still open in the suburbs of Tokyo. Whenever I ran out of something, I could hop on my bicycle, and within 10 minutes, I'd be greeted by a complete supply of Gunze and Tamiya products. That's my ideal hobby environment, no train ride, no driving, no under-stocked shelves.

While I miss Mr. Craft and Sakatsu stores, new stores have opened, like Auto Modeli GT, Baracca, Modeler's Cafe, Model Factory, and Tamiya Plamodel Factory.

Plus, Akihabara used to be known as the electric town, where tech geeks and audiophiles hung out (and where I bought parts to build a joystick, as well as my first Walkman!).
Now, it's completely transformed into the center of hobby and sub-culture market with lots of discount and specialized stores in one crowded area.

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

I didn't even know Sakatsu once had a store here. LOL I thought they'd always been a store-less, precision, wire, nuts and bolts company.