Lets encourage something!

For rumors about F1 scale models...

AntPhillips
Backmarker
Backmarker

Re: Lets encourage something!

Post by AntPhillips »

It would be nice to think that Ebbro could create a niche for themselves producing kits of long neglected subjects that predate the Tamiya era, my worry is there won't be enough impulse sales to make it worthwhile, as other than the Lotus 79 nearly all Tamiya kit releases (other than reissues) have been of recent subjects, likewise for Fujimi and thus appeal to casual buyers who want a kit of what they see winning races on the TV.

I'd really like to see a series of 1/20 World Championship winners, that could appeal to collectors and casual buyers in addition to the die hard F1 modellers that we are.
Happy modelling
Ant

'Travelling at the speed of dark since 1965'

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

If it's Lotus, Ferrari or has four front wheels, it will sell.

Topic author
smbrm1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: BRM, Lotus, Ferrari
Canada

Post by smbrm1 »

indycals wrote:If it's Lotus, Ferrari or has four front wheels, it will sell.
That was kind of my point too! Encouraging the manufacturer regarding subject matter is something someone has to do. I don't think they just pull their choices out of thin air!!

tito
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tito »

The 49 is an awsome new. My favourite F1 car ever! I think I will buy the two of 67 season plus one to build the gold leaf tasman series version (gold leaf), wich was the last victory of Jim Clark if I´m not wrong...I also wonder how it would look the 49 with JPS livery, in a "what it" version, but this is just a crazy idea...

About new kits, well...The lotus 63, 76 and 88 would be nice, and maybe also the maserati 250 f of the legendary Fangio.

BT46B
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by BT46B »

I'm with fade_to_black on this: Lotus 88 !
"Of all the pretenders who have come after my five World Championships, I felt only he had what it takes."
-- Juan Manuel Fangio speaking after the death of Ayrton Senna da Silva

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

AntPhillips wrote: I'd really like to see a series of 1/20 World Championship winners...
+1

I've never understood why Tamiya even came out with the Lotus 102, always a twice-lapped a backmarker even in the hands of Mika Häkkinen. (Well, their sponsorship of Lotus at the time may have had something to do with it.) I think, in my opinion, the major plastic kit manufacturers have "wasted" some of their efforts, on cars that didn't do very well in real life.

So I agree with Ant. Give us championship winning cars, and we'll all be (even) happier.

Chris

Obi-Jiff
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Obi-Jiff »

I see your point, as I would like a constant-scale collection of World Champions in 1:20, but I really like it when manufacturers do mid-grid or back-of-the-grid cars, as it adds some variety to a collection of F1 models. The fact that Tamiya did so many early Mika Hakkinen cars is a definite plus in my book, as he's my favourite driver of the past 20 years. My cat is called Mika for good reason!

Mind you, I think it only works if the midfielder car is a current or very recent one, or associated with a 'fever' driver such as Ayrton or Gilles; if someone was to release a new plastic kit of, say, an Osella FA1L or a Life I think they'd lose a lot of money!

Just think, though, of the diorama possibilities if Fujimi made a kit of Stefan Johansson's Onyx from the 1989 Hungarian GP...
Some say he believes Star Wars is a documentary...

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

You can get a transkit to make the Moneytron Onyx from S27 using the Fujimi Mclaren MP4/5 as a base.
I agree that it's nice to have a mix of winning and mid grid cars. If only winning cars were made you would have a pretty small spread of teams covered.

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

Eagle50 wrote:
AntPhillips wrote: I'd really like to see a series of 1/20 World Championship winners...
+1

I've never understood why Tamiya even came out with the Lotus 102, always a twice-lapped a backmarker even in the hands of Mika Häkkinen. (Well, their sponsorship of Lotus at the time may have had something to do with it.) I think, in my opinion, the major plastic kit manufacturers have "wasted" some of their efforts, on cars that didn't do very well in real life.

So I agree with Ant. Give us championship winning cars, and we'll all be (even) happier.

Chris
It's not always about how successful a car was for me. I like the way the Lotus 102 looked and it's achievements mean nothing. There have been some great looking cars that didn't do very well, but make for good subjects for a model kit..
Steve Noble

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Totally agree. If you only used the win quota to decide to kit a car then the Jordan 191 and the Leyton House CG901, to name but two, would never have existed and that would make me unhappy.