'93 Penske/Chevrolet F-Indy

Whatever its called these days... US open wheel racing.

Topic author
Drago
Spectator
Spectator

'93 Penske/Chevrolet F-Indy

Post by Drago »

I’m intended to start a building of the ’92 Senna’s test F-Indy Penske/Chevrolet. This test was held in the late ’92, Arizona, particular circuit.

First, a doubt: someone could tell me if the model tested (Penske PC-22) already had the Chevy 265/C engine (that will be the ‘93 season’s engine) or still the Chevy 265/B?

I already Googled for reference photos but without success. Can anyone help? Perhaps pictures of your personal album? Or, someone suggests a forum that specializes in F-Indy?

Thanks.

Darthwillie
F2
F2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Pironi / Vettel
Netherlands

Re: '93 Penske/Chevrolet F-Indy

Post by Darthwillie »

Not sure if it helps but this is a movie about the test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5pwFSjO5bs

PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Post by PJE »

Here's the best site to go to for Indy Car models:

http://mb2501.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Paul Erlendson

XCOM
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by XCOM »

Dragolino,

You always forget to talk to your best brazilian friends to help you when you need...

welocme to a new world...

see this, the biggest problem you will have is to develop these wheels...

http://mb2501.proboards.com/index.cgi?b ... hread=1351

Cheers

XCOM
Badi

Topic author
Drago
Spectator
Spectator

Post by Drago »

Darthwillie, thanks for sharing.. I already saw this movie (BTW, it is from a Brazilian TV called "Bandeirantes", I guess was the only television station that recorded this event. Thanks anyway!

PJE, I already did my registration on that board. Thanks for the tip!

Badi, I'm sorry for that...you’re right! I totally forgot you... I saw this topic you mentioned a few days ago and from that day I already did a good research.

One thing I have noticed is that the car with Senna made his test had two differences in comparison of the next season's car ('93). Let’s take a look:
Yellow: in the Senna´s car this part of the shell looks like more prominent (and doesn’t have that piece, with by the way I really don’t know what it is… can anyone tell me and what is its propose? )
Blue: the windshield in the Senna´s car is smaller then the other car so the edge is different as well.

Well, my points so far based on the Tamiya´s Lola 93 kit:

1) The Wheels: is not the major problem. Because only front wheels are different. The rear wheels are the same of the kit. In this case, is necessary to cut off the inner center and replace it with one correct model. I already talked with Alessandro (a friend of mine that is “THE MAN” when open wheel race turns the main subject) and he said the an Enkei´s model he have will fit perfectly (I don’t know yet what kit it came from…)
Take a look:

2) Body: In my opinion, it is the biggest problem, because besides the tub and the sidepods (very well pointed by elsapito in the thread you quoted), also there is a lot of small correction all along the shell (as I describe foward). There is a PC-22 resin transkit option made by Bill Jorgensen but as far I know, out of production.

Here, some differences I noticed (please, fell free to also add more points in case you notice)
First, one shoot of two 1:18 diecast models cars to help us in this comparison:

And here my points:

Let’s see:
(A) This piece looks smaller and not so curved than the Lola’s one.
(B) I can’t precisely if this part has the same format… I think so…
(C) As noticed above, this part is more prominent
(D) This piece is more curved than the Lola’s one but has almost the same size
(E) The windshield appears to be almost equal with Tamiya’s kit provides, once the Senna’s cars is not the same of the ’93 season’s car (as I noticed above)
(F) The rearview is totally different in terms of format and position
(G) In the Senna’s car this piece is higher than Lola’s car, and this entrance has also a different angle and format (in the die cast photos it is more ease noticed)
(H) This part of the front wing is basically the same shape but with more smooth curves
(I) Has a more curved silhouette than Lola’s nose
(J) Wings: the rear one has practically the same shape. There is a fin in the front wing that must be removed.

3) Engine: this is a medium problem… I’m not pretty sure yet because I can’t find some good references photos. As a matter of fact, I even know which Chevrolet´s engine was used: Chevy 265/B or Chevy 265/C. More problem: it is even more difficult to find out some good photos of 265/B than /C. Anyway, I guess two motors are quite the same… In this case, it is necessary to compare both blocks (Chevy 265 and Ford Cosworth XB) to check if it will be necessary make big modifications or just change the valve cover. Another issue is the gear box. I don’t know with is the same or at last very close, or in worst case, totally different…

4) Suspension and others minor differences: I’m pretty sure that these subjects are not a big deal for experts model builders. To change the front/rear wings; the wishbone’s thickness; cockpit pieces, etc etc etc will not be a big issue. Perhaps, the only problem it will find the Studio27 decal sheet available… (I already got mine rsrsrs).

That´s all folks!
I Hope we can discuss more about this project... I really want to build this model!

joseapetit
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: José
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Michael Schumacher and Nelson Piquet
Brazil

Post by joseapetit »

Hi Drago. This is an interesting conversion you are trying to do.

The differences you see between the two Penske (Paul Tracy and Senna) is because the cars are from different seasons. Senna made ​​his test in December 1992 and the photo of Tracy's car is the '93 season

Good luck!
José Angelo

SSchumann
Spectator
Spectator

Post by SSchumann »

Fala Drago!

I will look your progress with this model car. I believe that I have one magazine with some photos from this car. I will try to find and send to you.
Save San Jorge !

Schumann

http://www.small-dreams.com
http://sscarrosemotos.blogspot.com/

atlantakat1
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by atlantakat1 »

Drago -- that "can" sticking through the rear bodywork above the engine is the "pop off valve" which was used by USAC and then CART to limit the turbo boost on Indycars for years. If the driver set the boost too high the valve would open up and release pressure and the engine would lose power until the valve sealed again. The rumor was that toward the end of his career at Indy, A.J. Foyt was given "special" pop off valves that allowed old A.J. a couple more bars of boost to keep things interestin' for the fans. My guess is that Penske did not install a pop off valve during Senna's test since it was not an actual race.

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

atlantakat1 wrote:Drago -- that "can" sticking through the rear bodywork above the engine is the "pop off valve" which was used by USAC and then CART to limit the turbo boost on Indycars for years. My guess is that Penske did not install a pop off valve during Senna's test since it was not an actual race.
While this is probably the case the hole in the bodywork would still be there even if the valve was not installed. You can see in the photo what looks like tape covering the hole.
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports