Suggestions for tire template for M23

A special Forum for the McLaren M23 series of F1 race cars.

Topic author
derek_hallett
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Suggestions for tire template for M23

Post by derek_hallett »

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any suggestions for the badyear logos for the tires? The aftermarket tobacco decals I got only came with logos for the body and nothing for the tires.

Derek

high510
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: Suggestions for tire template for M23

Post by high510 »

Various people make those round templates meant to be applied directly to the tire and then the letters airbrushed (the templates are usually PE metal). I heard a tip in the past few weeks that if you lay this on decal paper and spray the lettering there, and then apply the decal to the tire, it is better then trying to wrap the template around the compound curve of the tire.

Have not tried it yet, sounds intuitively simple. Look around for the templates. A quick scan of HLJ found a template for the odd sized Tyrrell P34 tires, other templates are out there.

dlphnfn
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Walter Wolf Racing
United States of America

Re: Suggestions for tire template for M23

Post by dlphnfn »

I'm not good with the "this car needs this style GY, and that one needs that" but I bought this template set, and it has an ARRAY of GY's to choose from!
http://www.hlj.com/product/FNS60270
P34, 80's, 70's, fronts, rears, etc... It seems backordered now, but if you can find it, it's definitely worth your money, IMO.
Erick --