Lotus 79 rearwing laurels

A special Forum just for the new Lotus 79 (and 78) kits.

mtrspeed
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Michel Toni Rost
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet (father)
Brazil

Re: Lotus 79 rearwing luarels

Post by mtrspeed »

Hi all,

The Lotus 79 featured 2 different winning laurels lay-outs during the 1978 season. Until the French GP they were the same as appeared on the Lotus 78 during the first races of the season.

From the Brithish GP until the last race of the season in Canada the winning laurels changed its lay-outs.

Below, you can see the differences. Take a look at the photo of the French GP!

I offered both in my complete set of MTR SPEED conversion decal sheets as you can see also below. I spent hours and hours searching for the correct photos to release a very accurate product!

You can see some more photos of the rear wing featuring its winning laurels (England, Austria, Holland and Italy GPs)!

I hope that I could have helped you!

Cheers,

Michel
Attachments
Figura1.jpg
Figura2.jpg
Lotus 79 - 78 France - rear wing.jpg
Lotus 79 - 78 England - Peterson (002).jpg
Lotus 79 - 78 Austria - rear wing.jpg
Lotus 79 - 78 Holland - rear wing.jpg
Lotus 79 - 78 Italy - rear wing.jpg

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

Thanks. Very interesting. The layout from Holland is back to haunt us again. I wonder if the pictures of both Mario and Ronnies cars without the Austria badge are from early practice in Holland.
A picture of Ronnies spare 78 shows it still with the setup from Austria

Björn B

edgarmiro
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by edgarmiro »

Thanks for the info, can someone show us the laurels/races attached in the lotus 78 (1977 and 1978)?

Thanks in advance

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Re: Lotus 79 rearwing laurels

Post by Orso »

This is interesting. I can't find any pictures from 1977 with any laurels. Most has the wrong angle for them to be seen but on the few others I can't see any. So didn't Lotus use them in 1977?

Edit: I found a picture from Monza in 1977 in the Tipler book. Four laurels on the left side.

mtrspeed
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Brazil

Post by mtrspeed »

Hello,

During the 1977 season, 5 winning laurels were produced by the Lotus team, corresponding to their 5 wins in that season.

Below, you can see these 5 winning laurels applied to the Lotus 78 car driven by Mario Andretti at the 1977 USA (Watkins Glen) GP. The image is not very clear but it is easy to identify the exact position of each laurel.

These laurels first appeared on the rear wings of the cars of Andretti and Nilsson at the 1977 French GP until the last race of the season in Japan.

I offer these logos in my complete set of conversion decals (2 sheets) for the Tamiya 1/20 Lotus 78 kits, as you can also see below.

Note that the lay-out of these decals are the same applied to the Lotus 78 driven by Andretti and Peterson during the first races of 1978 and the Lotus 79 until the 1978 French GP. They changed from the 1978 British GP until the last race of the 1978 season in Canada, as previously mentioned by myself at this topic above.

Cheers!

Michel
Attachments
Lotus 78 - 77 USA (Watkins Glen) - Andretti (001).jpg
Figura3.jpg
MTR SPEED 1.20 Lotus 78 - decal (1) (jpg).jpg
MTR SPEED 1.20 Lotus 78 - decal (2) (jpg).jpg

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

Hello Mr Michel,

Thanks very much for explaining,your time and effort..! The quality and sharpness of your decals is PERFECT..

Alex Nahooy.

mtrspeed
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Brazil

Post by mtrspeed »

Hi Alex,

Thank you very much for your kind words.

It is really a very hard work to produce 100% accurate goods as it takes hours and hours of research looking at tons and tons of magazines and books that I am buing since the beginning of the 80ies... F1 is my passion and I do it not because of the money, as it is impossible to survive having only having this business, I do it because I love it!

In time: taking the opportunity of this topic (Lotus 79 rearwing laurels), I would like to let all you know that I am currently finishing a project of an 1/1 replica of the Lotus 79 rear wing (1978 Italy version) as I will hang it on the wall of my living room and next week I will get the printed stickers of all the winning laurels in 1/1 scale and it looks great!!! I will further on sell the complete set of 1/1 winning laurels and advertise it here at the F1M Group as I know that there might be some people interested!

Cheers to all!

Michel