Porsche Indy Car

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
westra
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Porsche Indy Car

Post by westra »

A while ago I did this Porsche. I bought the kit on the latest IPMS in the Netherlands. It was cheap and looked like a fun little project. I was not planning on going superdetail here. Just build something :D

I started with the wheels. They where a little plasticlike. But after carefull sanding I ended up with this...

The kit comes with a driverfigure. Since I'm not verry fond off that I decided to build something off a seat.

Primed and painted the wings and got the decals on...

Now, the body was a hole different story. Since I've found out that the decals weren't that crisp anymore. They dried out over the years. There are golden stripes to separate the white and green. I decided to first paint the body white, put the decals on, spray clearcote, mask it and spray the green part. The gold decalstripes were a pain :twisted:

While I was waiting for the paint to dry I build the engine. Fitment was so so...

But in the end all came together nicely.

That's it, hope you enjoyed it, till next time.

Eric

badun
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Bryan Duncan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All-time favorite is Senna but I don't cheer for a particular driver or team any longer. I just want to see good races with multiple teams capable of winning!
United States of America

Re: Porsche Indy Car

Post by badun »

Nice job! I'm surprised there was any model made of such a mediocre car. :D

JRSLim
Formula e
Formula e

Post by JRSLim »

That looks really nice- great job. I've never heard of the kit either - mediocre car, but good looking.
Shaun Lehman

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

Post by billgtp »

Nice work on a great car.
Mediocre?They banned the car at indy for having carbon fibre in the chassis & then told Porsche they would have to make the inlets to the turbos smaller(smaller then the usv8s)

eyckles
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by eyckles »

hi,

nice build. have the sam kit in my to do pile and can use this as a good reference

greetz
lesley
Best regards,
Lesley

gerty
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by gerty »

Nice job !

badun
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Bryan Duncan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All-time favorite is Senna but I don't cheer for a particular driver or team any longer. I just want to see good races with multiple teams capable of winning!
United States of America

Post by badun »

I believe I stand corrected! Obviously my memory sucks compared to 20 years ago and my response was based on recollections, not any Google searches. What I remember is the car being Al Unser's anti-climactic swan song. Looking it up I see that eventual super sub Teo Fabi wound up 4th in the championship!

I know that all the details about the chassis controversy wouldn't have been detailed in the television broadcasts of the time but I've been a subscriber to Autoweek since the early 80's so I should have read SOMETHING about it. Like I said, probably just forgot over the course of time and confused the car's short lifespan with mediocrity.

Now the Alfa indy car was a piece of crap! At least that's what I remember. :roll:

atlantakat1
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by atlantakat1 »

Al Jr. said at the time that if they let the Porsche compete at full horse power "Fabi would have dusted us everywhere."

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

If I remember correctly, Porsche initially constructed its own chassis and engine together for late 1987 debut, but the chassis turned out to need a lot of development and wasn't fast enough initially. That's when the team changed over to the March chassis. I remember Al Holbert being employed by Porsche to develop the team and the cars.

I remember seeing the initial Porsche chassis in photos and it was gorgeous. Supposedly it had excellent fit, finish, and attention to detail in its construction. But they didn't get the aero and chassis dynamics quite right and elected to go with the March - already proven at Indy.

Interesting time at Indy then. Chevy/Ilmor engines, March, Lola, etc. Man, I used to look forward to May every year back then and I'd watch every day of quals on TV.

Cheers,
AJ

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

Post by billgtp »

Your both correct. But Porsche did the homework on the rules & designed the engine to them.
The cosworth by now was a 20 year old design. The ilmore almost a copy of the cosworth.
I myself stopped reading Autoweek & Road & Track back in the 80s becuase they gave no or incorrect race coverage.
You are right.Patrick racing & Alfa was a joke.