Topic author
daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

paint choice when using tyre stencils

Post by daveyman »

Just had my first experiment using a tyre stencil and it was a real eye opener. Wish I tried it ages ago. Very pleased with the result. However, left it to dry for 24 hrs and went to insert the rim and some paint scrubbed off. Have now removed it all and will try again but wondered what the best paint for this job is. I used Tamiya XF flat white. The tyres were from a Fujimi Williams. Any guidance on paint adherence to the rubber tyres would be greatly appreciated.

Bigasshammm
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Re: paint choice when using tyre stencils

Post by Bigasshammm »

Did you spray a flat clear over the completed tire?
I haven't used a stencil yet but I have brush painted the lettering with the same paint you used and it will rub or flake off with the bending/stretching of the tire. Flat clear helps hold it though.

Topic author
daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Really wanted to avoid any kind of clear if possible, like the contrast between the rubber sheen and the flat white. Will definitely mount the tyres on the rim prior to painting next time to minimise handling. As I say this was my first time and therefore an experiment but the results are very pleasing. Just need to be more durable and then find a way to 'productionize' my stencil to speed the process up.

turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

I put the tire on the rim first. I read its best to use some primer first than Tamiya white to help the paint stick better. My biggest issue is centering the stencil perfectly.

SanMarino
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ventisette Rosso
Canada

Post by SanMarino »

How timely of a question as I will be using kit supplied template for the first time in the near future. Tamiya recommends going with flat white acrylic, and I too like the contrast this combination offers, so finishing off with flat clear does not suit my personal taste.

The use of primer to help the paint stick made sense to me, figuring it would effectively etch its way better into the rubber.

So I thought to myself, why not just use decanted Tamiya white primer which I just happen to have available and forgo using the flat white acrylic. Has anyone tried this?

Tiffoc
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: FERRARI...
Great Britain

Post by Tiffoc »

SanMarino wrote:How timely of a question as I will be using kit supplied template for the first time in the near future. Tamiya recommends going with flat white acrylic, and I too like the contrast this combination offers, so finishing off with flat clear does not suit my personal taste.

The use of primer to help the paint stick made sense to me, figuring it would effectively etch its way better into the rubber.

So I thought to myself, why not just use decanted Tamiya white primer which I just happen to have available and forgo using the flat white acrylic. Has anyone tried this?
Yes, I have...

It's ok! but I find the flat white gives a smoother finish.
I do as said primer first, my method is, I spray a light mist of primer then a wetter mist (not to heavy) of flat white...
I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting, even when there's only a slightest chance.
Michael Schumacher

SanMarino
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ventisette Rosso
Canada

Post by SanMarino »

Tiffoc wrote:
SanMarino wrote:How timely of a question as I will be using kit supplied template for the first time in the near future. Tamiya recommends going with flat white acrylic, and I too like the contrast this combination offers, so finishing off with flat clear does not suit my personal taste.

Yes, I have...

It's ok! but I find the flat white gives a smoother finish.
I do as said primer first, my method is, I spray a light mist of primer then a wetter mist (not to heavy) of flat white...

Thank you!

harveyb258
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by harveyb258 »

I used just Halfords white primer on my M7A....great result :D

Bigasshammm
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by Bigasshammm »

Does the primer dry thoroughly or is it still tacky? I've never had success with anything but acrylics on tires.

harveyb258
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by harveyb258 »

Several light mist coats worked for me, dried no problem!

Cheers, H