Scale Motorsport shutting down after 20 years

For all F1 scale model news...

Topic author
Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Scale Motorsport shutting down after 20 years

Post by Noddy »

Matthew Wells of Scale Motorsport has announced that 2018 will be his last year in business producing decal and superdetail kits. Items that go out of stock now will not be replenished so if you're contemplating needing any of his carbon fiber sheets or been thinking of one of his detail sets now might be the time to order. Prices will be discounted at his various events this year including the NNL show tomorrow in Philadelphia, PA at the Simeone Museum.

Moskie
Backmarker
Backmarker

Re: Scale Motorsport shutting down after 20 years

Post by Moskie »

Ah, that is a shame!

danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

I don't think it is a shame, he maybe too old to operate and want to enjoy retire life.

Ps: I am thinking to take over his decal business by purchasing his equipment, any chance? How much money we are talking about? I don't have any clue....

SMS carbon decal is really nice except for some hi-def ones, these hi-def ones become fragile over time.

whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

His work will be sorely missed! I've never built one of his superdetail kits, but I do use his carbon decals regularly. Great stuff, I will have to stock up.

Topic author
Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

whatisdeletrazdoing wrote:His work will be sorely missed! I've never built one of his superdetail kits, but I do use his carbon decals regularly. Great stuff, I will have to stock up.
Can't claim to know him really well but I have had lunch and spent several hours with Matthew and he's a nice guy plus his customer service has been excellent.

lep
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Stephane
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Canada

Post by lep »

That is great news for him, but selfishly, I am disappointed. His CF decals are light years ahead of anyone else. I have used his detail part sets for the Ferrari F60, F2001, 312T, the Enzo, seat belt sets, etc. I will be placing an order in the coming weeks to ensure I have my stash of those CF decals...... Matthew wish you well in retirement. No one beat your decals.

f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by f1m »

SMS was one of the earliest sponsors of F1M - Matt donated decals for our one and only online modeling contest and was one of the first people to buy ads on the site. I've bumped into him at a few contests and IPMS/USA Nationals. He was always keen to talk about the business and the work SMS has done over the years to create great products and expand the hobby will be sorely missed...

Eric

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Seems the news have already made the rounds. Just checking on Fleabay showed 3 of the 1/12 312T detail
kits from SMS listed at $185 up to $230. The last ones I had on my watchlist were at $130 earlier this year.
<sigh> yet another case of missed the boat.
Cheers,
Roman

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

sky1911 wrote:Seems the news have already made the rounds. Just checking on Fleabay showed 3 of the 1/12 312T detail
kits from SMS listed at $185 up to $230. The last ones I had on my watchlist were at $130 earlier this year.
<sigh> yet another case of missed the boat.

It is still available from Scale Motorsport. List is $230.

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

To quote "American Pickers" The best time to buy it is when you see it. I just submitted an order to cover all of the models that I have on my shelf. Yea, it was expensive but what the heck, I may not be able to get them again at a reasonable price and I would rather see the money go to Matthew rather that some Shylock who is trying to get the maximum amount in a scarce market.