Jordans first 191

Finished models...

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Jordans first 191

Post by bossy122 »

Hello! I finally finished this one last week and am pretty happy with it. Good ol' Tamiya 191 with Studio 27's new carbon decal set. I always wanted to carbon things but figuring out what pattern goes where and in what direction, etc and then having to fit it.....pass! So when I saw S27 was releasing these, I was only TOO happy to give them a try! They all fit really well where they're supposed to. I'm trusting S27 got all the patterns etc correct. They did miss a few things, most note worthy the rear wings. They included the inner rear wing end plates and having paid 30 some odd bucks, I was determined to use as much as I could. Using my handy dandy Tamiya Jordan 191 book for reference, it appeared that the only races they used bare carbon on the inner end plates was the first two rounds where they had no sponsorship at all on any of the rear wing. Well, S27 didn't give me carbons for the upper elements so I had to make those myself with a sheet of Scale Mototrsport carbon that I had.
So it actually worked out interestingly, I think. Most people do Schumachers or Zanardis rookie car and I wound up doing Jordans first car! No sponsorship on the rear wing gives it away. There's a small ATC ( I can't actually tell what the letters are....) decal on the back of the engine cover that S27 got wrong with their guide. I put it where they said it should be after I couldn't confirm it with a pic of the real car. Later after I had cleared it et al. I found a pic on Wikipedia and in that pic it is behind the Ford oval. Oh, well.
I had a pretty fun time doing this one, lots of burnt finger tips from heating the decals into place, but I think it was worth it. Hopefully I can keep this one from taking a tumble like the first 191 I did several years ago....actually, the seat that I sanded the harnesses off of was salvaged and is the seat in this kit, so it lives on! Thanks for looking!
Oh! How could I forget?! I found that cutting those wonderful yellow stripes into 3 pieces made that whole process SOOO much simpler!

Unfortunatley, the engine cover doesn't fit very well, the other side sticks up badly...
I used Mr. Color green 66 on this one. Probably a little darker green than it should be, but it'll do.
I tried TWICE to get both green stripe decals onto that front wing! WHY both companies give a straight decal instead of one that would contour is beyond me! I finally had to paint the damn thing using Tamiya X-15.
It's not that bright of green. I had to tweak it some to highlight the carbon....
Can you spot the eyelash that wound up in the pic? :mrgreen:
Last edited by bossy122 on Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badun
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Bryan Duncan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All-time favorite is Senna but I don't cheer for a particular driver or team any longer. I just want to see good races with multiple teams capable of winning!
United States of America

Re: Jordans first 191

Post by badun »

I really like your use of the c/f decals!

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

Fantastic looking build. Nice work and I did spot the eyelash but only after I went looking for it after I read your comment.

Jordan

wemattson
Formula e
Formula e
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Michael Schumacher
United States of America

Post by wemattson »

Great looking Jordan, nice job. How hard was it to use CF decals?

vanhookvintage
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: vanhookvintage
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by vanhookvintage »

Such an outrageous design. Sharp elbows everywhere, and a cool execution on your part IMHO. :D :D :D

Haven't found the eyelash, but your application of color, and the CF looks really good, whether S27 got it right or not.

Cheers,
Greg
"Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start." Enzo Ferrari

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

wemattson wrote:Great looking Jordan, nice job. How hard was it to use CF decals?

They were quite easy to use. I think the trick is to put them where they belong, smother them in Microsol and then blast them with a hairdryer! Like I said; lots of burnt finger tips but it came out really well. You do have to keep an eye on them to smooth them out whilst baking them on. Not pictured is the big decal on the underside of the nose/front wing. The lesson I learned for that part was to paint the entire underside semi gloss black as there are small gaps no matter how hard you try. And then that green REALLY sticks out!

Oh, hey! I forgot the tail light! :lol:

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Nice!

generationx
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by generationx »

Lovely build, and a great advert for Studio27!

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

Looks perfect in every way. Eyelas spotted, but took me a while :)
Steve Noble

Deegee13
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: David Gillyon
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nigel Mansell
Great Britain

Post by Deegee13 »

Looks great.

This is my current build (almost complete) and I have had the same fit issues with the engine cover (my own fault though, too many clear coats) and the front wing stripe decal; used up 2 decals before finally painting it. I was infuriated that Tamiya (and S27 as I used their sponsor aftermarket sheet) give a totaly straight decal when the countour of the wing is anything but straight!