1992 SASOL Jordan 192 conversion 1/20

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Husker
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Mexico

1992 SASOL Jordan 192 conversion 1/20

Post by Husker »

Hey!

The Jordan 192 was by any standards a very unsuccessful car, unreliable and plain slow. Compared to its predecessor, the 191 it had more refined aerodynamics, curved shapes like the front wing while the '91 car was more angular. We all know very well the 191, but if you need reference, just go to jaykay's superb build, from which I'll be borrowing lots of ideas! :D

I always liked the 192, not only it's shape but the livery as well:

So a few months ago I got the S27 decal sheet to convert Tamiya's Jordan 191 into the 191Y 1992 presentation version:

And decided to give it a shot at converting it to the actual 192 car. Let me say in advance that this WIP will be slow, as I don't have much free time unfortunately, but I am posting this here hoping it helps me go all the way through. I will be making all the changes necessary to replicate as close as my abilities allow the overall shape of the car, which will in the end be a curbside because I want to concentrate on the exterior and I don't have a yamaha V12 engine nor plan to make/convert one from perhaps an MP4/7 Honda.

Let's get on to it, shall we?

First off, many moons ago I got from the net a drawing of the 191 and 192 overlapping, this will be a huge benefit so I can clearly see and plan the changes needed but I needed it to be 1/1 to the 1/20 model so I retraced it in illustrator and printed a few copies:

First thing I'm working on is the cockpit and nose area. The nose is shorter and in a higher position, so first I shortened it and then cut the cockpit so it matched the drawings:

With that done, I joined the cockpit halves and made some styrene templates to get the central shapes right and to know when to stop sanding :D. Around the steering wheel section, the 192 is lower and the opening shorter, so I had to cut that section as well and shaped it with styrene sheet again. This will be covered with epoxy clay later on to replicate the curved shape. I also drilled new openings for the push rods some mm. in front of the original ones they have a drop shape instead of the kit's square ones. Cut off the roll bar for two reasons, will be easier to paint and needs to be taller so it matches the cowl as jaykay pointed out in his WIP
Finally, with epoxy and styrene sheet I modified the head rest area because in the 192 it's a fit forward with more aggressive curves.

So that's it for now. Next up, refining the cockpit and starting with the cowl.
:)
Twitter: @StardustSR / Completed: 1/5 McLaren MP4/8 / In Progress: Renault RE30B / Sasol Jordan 192

Gooch
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Dave Sans
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Re: 1992 SASOL Jordan 192 conversion 1/20

Post by Gooch »

Nice start one of my favorite Jordan's it's a real sharp looking livery when it's done I built the Tameo kit of this car.
Regards,
Dave

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Look forward to following this. The Sasol livery was always one of my favourites. Never before has such a slow car looked so fast.

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Post by Dede »

COOL!! I like It, Really nice Start, one I will enjoy following as I had a go at this a while back (link below), mine certainly was not as accurate as this is heading for, If this is ending up as the 192 I reckon mine would be considered a 191.5 :lol: , keep us posted..
Dede.

AntPhillips
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by AntPhillips »

Great work so far, this is really going to be one to watch.

Happy modelling.
Ant
Happy modelling
Ant

'Travelling at the speed of dark since 1965'

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

Nice! I'll be following this for sure :-) That's an ambitious conversion but your start looks very promising!

Habu12
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Habu12 »

"With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well...you can fly very high"-Ayrton Senna

Topic author
Husker
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Mexico

Post by Husker »

^wo0t?!
daveyman wrote:Never before has such a slow car looked so fast.
SO true haha!

Thanks for the comments guys! Still a looong way to go.

Dede, I've seen your conversion before and I'm really hoping my painting comes at least half as good as yours! What blue did you use btw?
Twitter: @StardustSR / Completed: 1/5 McLaren MP4/8 / In Progress: Renault RE30B / Sasol Jordan 192

Seiiki
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Fangio
Canada

Post by Seiiki »

The Jordan 191 and 192 comparison sheets came from Museum Collections. They did a pretty good car-in-car length and height traces so modeler's can somewhat accurately do their conversions. They also did the same things with Williams FW14B and FW15C to highlight the differences of the tyres and regulations.
Canice

nmasahiko
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by nmasahiko »

Will you build early type of 192?