BURAGO CARS, WHICH ARE USEFUL

About making you own...

Topic author
NP#3TIMES
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

BURAGO CARS, WHICH ARE USEFUL

Post by NP#3TIMES »

Other alternative is a 126C4 by Burago, wich is easy to find in Ebay, and using the plastic 126C2 can be a great result too.

Sandro.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: YES - 1:20 Ferrari 126 C3 full-detail from MFH

Post by JamesB »

roly01 wrote: And neither a detachable cowling James (yes I'm trying to be a smart ass here :lol: ).
HOHOHO!!! :lol: good one!!
NP#3TIMES wrote:Other alternative is a 126C4 by Burago, wich is easy to find in Ebay, and using the plastic 126C2 can be a great result too.

Sandro.
bloody right!! and it's true 1/20. Well, at last someone who does not think the buragos suck! :D

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

1/20th ? and not 1/24th ????
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Ferrari F1-75 (since 2024)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

roly01
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by roly01 »

BMW wrote:1/20th ? and not 1/24th ????
They where sold as 1/24, but where defenitly bigger then that, but just that bit smaller then 1/20 I'd say.
Thus, I always put the Burago's in the 1/22 section.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Yes! the bburagos were a complicated matter, scale-wise. Nevertheless, there was really profitable stuff among them. As Roly states, 1/22 could well be the majority scale, but there were exceptions.
If you forget about wheels -horrible and out od scale for whatever since they even didn't match between front and rear axle- and wings, which were also "free", regarding metal bodyworks, I'd say:

Definitely 1/22: Lotus 98, Brabham BT52, Ferrari 126 CK, etc...

1/20th scale: Williams FW08, Ferrari 126C4, McLaren MP4/2(****)

(***)The big asterisk on the Mac is due to the fact that, even if it's correct in almost all measurements, the Mp4/2 lacks something. After trying to trace it for years -this car has a complicated shape that does not help-, I arrrived to the conclusion that it lacks almost a centimeter in the middle. To get it right, you should make a diagonal cut from just behind rollbarr till just in front the sidepods. Not an easy task but it's the only way that the sidepods are where they should, engine cover is as long as it should, whelbase is what it's meant to be.

Rest of the collection, until 1992, either I don't have it, either it lacks interst as the horrible B188 -there's a Tamiya!!- but, for instance, the RE30 is nicely done.
Then from 1992 on, and respecting the 1/24 scale, FW14 is not bad: it's way better than the Onyx, although suspensions, wheels -both out of scale again-, stickers are worse than the portuguese car. Then we have the Ferraris: F310, F310B, F300 are all really nice, TRUE 1/24, have EXCELLENT wheels and very correct bodies and suspensions.
The reason they are so weirdly sized is the strange policy of Burago: "Do it so it fits the box and the existent parts". Thus the 250GTO and the Testarossa are oversized.
Same with F1. They were meant to be 1/24, but Burago said: why not doing them bigger, as much as the regular box can take? OK, let's go!! they made a rear wheel but stuck to the existent street car front wheel. Same with the steering rack, that conditioned ALL the front suspensions! Needless to say it was too wide for 1/24 and too narrow for 1/20. But the obsession of profiting parts and keeping steering active ruled :roll: :roll:
As you can see, I studied deeply the Buragos: 25 years ago, any non Tamiya addition was welcome!! :lol:
In short, you can check that the ones that reach bigger prices on Ebay are the MP4/2, the 126C4 and the FW08... simple! A bit like the Polistil Audi Sport Quattro!

roly01
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by roly01 »

I also used to have loads of the Burago's.
All of them repainted/redecaled and fitted with Tamiya wheels and tyres.
And as for the mp4/2, I even redid one into a mp4/7 beleave it or not.
And no James, no pics, sorry.
I think this was the best one I had.
Most looked pretty good, but all of them are gone from my collection now.

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

AHA!
Thank you guys!
As there is virtually no chance of the FW08 and the MP4/2 arriving in 1/20th plastic, it is an option to buy the diecast, and improve on them.
I keep my eye out for these and the Tamiya diecasts.
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Ferrari F1-75 (since 2024)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: BURAGO CARS, WHICH ARE USEFUL

Post by JamesB »

I debut as a moderator by creating this nice post about the Buragos and their utility, so we leave the MFH C3 alone :)
Back to topic -the new one- I'd say the following:

FW08: best "quality-acuracy/bother" ratio. Given Burago sold it for ages, even with a suposed disguise of FW10 -"Turbo", of course- there are loads of them here and there. They have not reached the collectors item status of MP4/2 or 126C4.
Take a Burago, add a FW07 rear end, regarding wheels those of 126CK would be perfect, and get a decals sheet -the one for FW09 would almost do. OK, and AMD is easier, but more rare too.

126C4
: mostly same recipe. in this case, a 126C2 or a 126CK would give almost all material you need. Some scratch building for rear wing -the given one is too wide, the fron too but it just needs chopping- and boom, nice car. Bad point: a bit more expensive, though it seems people are releasing theirs and you can find them for a few euros.

MP4/2: I'd say "don't try this at home". The complementary material is easy to get: stuff from mid eighties Tamiyas. But the repair you have to do to the bodywork is tricky, and even like that, is not perfect. But if you are OK with a short wheelbase car, you might get on with just increasing 4mm or so the wheelbase by taking the rear axle backwards.

About the rest... well. Nice cars, but not at 1/20, certainly!

smirkoff
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by smirkoff »

JamesB wrote: Same with F1. They were meant to be 1/24, but Burago said: why not doing them bigger, as much as the regular box can take? OK, let's go!! they made a rear wheel but stuck to the existent street car front wheel. Same with the steering rack, that conditioned ALL the front suspensions! Needless to say it was too wide for 1/24 and too narrow for 1/20. But the obsession of profiting parts and keeping steering active ruled
In resume: Burago invented the spec F1 series long time before Max Mosley!!! :lol: :lol:

BTW, the Alfa 179 is in the 1/22th category too? It's still easy to find, but with a Pink Panther inside...

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

smirkoff wrote:
In resume: Burago invented the spec F1 series long time before Max Mosley!!! :lol: :lol:
HAHAH!
smirkoff wrote:

BTW, the Alfa 179 is in the 1/22th category too? It's still easy to find, but with a Pink Panther inside...
Well, I only dared to talk about the ones I had in my hands.
But I remember being near to buy one 179 on Ebay and I'd say I stopped when the owner told me the car width...
I'd say that they just did the mentioned three at 1/20... Ununderstandably, BT52 is also 1/21,5...
BTW, this P. Panther and other features they put into the F1 cars also remind me what MAx is doin with F1...