Masking for two tone paint?

Beware of all the tiny parts...

For all posts related to 43rd scale models.

late_apecks
Formula e
Formula e

Post by late_apecks »

Tamiya tape is great in the 6 mm and 10 mm sizes. For similar tape in smaller sizes, Aizu Micron tape goes down to 0.7 mm; I think you can find it at some on-line stores in the U.S., and you can definitely buy it from Hobby Search http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/ in Japan.

In larger sizes, 3M Scotch masking tape"for delicate surfaces" is very good for large areas. It's available at automobile paint stores. It's not as gooey as the Tamiya 40 mm. The 3M471 Blue Line is stiffer, has more adhesion, and cleaner edges. it's a little too sticky to use over paint that's not well cured - it'll leave marks - but it's okay for masking large unpainted areas.

The suggestions about "sealing" edges with clear or body color are excellent. I'd even suggest doing that if you're brush-painting over body color.

LA

late_apecks
Formula e
Formula e

Post by late_apecks »

I tried two-part automotive urethane clear, and had problems with it:

1. It's highly toxic. I breathed some spray and had a stomach-ache and cough for three days. That time, I didn't realize it was the urethane, so a couple weeks later I did it again and got the same symptoms. By all means, have plenty of ventilation and PUT ON A PROFESSIONAL PAINTERS' MASK before you open the can.

2. Contrary to paint shop instructions, it must be thinned with (very nasty) UR40. If it goes on too thick, it will either round your edges or fill your panel gaps.

3. It dries to an unrealistically high gleam; you actually have to polish it back to get a more realistic appearance. Some people like that X-treme gloss, however, and for some cars like recent McLaren F1 cars it's correct.

4. Worst of all, once cured, it's almost impossible to strip. I tried CSC and brake fluid with marginal success.

Apparently Jaws and others have had better results, but there ya go.

LA
Late Apecks