Topic author
JM
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Germany

Lotus 78

Post by JM »

As the Lotus 78 was one of the most beautiful Formula 1 cars I have already built the Tamiya 1/20 kit in three different versions - the 1977 Belgium GP-winner (Nilsson), the 1977 Imperial version (Nilsson) and the 1978 Monza version (Peterson). Now I got myself two more kits to built the 1978 Rebaque version and the 1979 Aurora-Series Madom version (de Villota). The cars latter versions differ slightly from the JPS original car - mainly at the rear wing area. As the original JPS car had a central wing support structure the Rebaque and de Villota version seem to have a rear wing support more like the 1977 Wolf or the 1978 Williams FW06. Unfortunately I found only a few reference pictures of the Lotus 78 in Rebaque and de Villota disguise. I'm now looking for reference shots especially around the rear wing section to be able to make the models as realistic as possible. Can anyone help?
Furthermore as a matter of interest - was the de Villota car the actual Rebaque chassis?

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

IIRC Rebaque had a contract with Colin Chapman that he could use the most recent customer Lotus exclusivly.
He used the 78/1 in the early parts of 1978 until Spain, then the 78/4 until Monza and for the last two rounds of the season he got the 78/2. When Rebaque got a Lotus 79, the Lotus 78 became available for other customers an de Villota got 78/1.
You can find informations about chassisnumbers and their entries on this site:
http://www.oldracingcars.com/

Here is a screenshot of Rebaque car at the French Grand Prix:

Btw: Welcome at F1M!!! :wink:

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

Welcome in wonderland....
...I hope this can help.....

Keep on building,
Alex Nahooy.

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

...another....

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

....another....

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

...and the last one....

Take care,
Alex.

NP#3TIMES
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by NP#3TIMES »

Hi Alex,

Great photos!!!

I just have some questions:

- where are these photos from (race track, museum)?
- which year?
- Is this a car used by Rebaque in 1978?

I remember that he also drove the Lotus 78 as a spare car in Argentina and Brazil 1979 and in Silverstone (British GP) he also used the 78 chassis as a spare car but raced the Lotus 79 until the Dutch GP in that same year (his best result of the season... if I am not wrong he finished 7th). At Monza (1979 Italian GP) he debuted his own chassis Rebaque HR100.

Michel produced a very complete set of decals for the 1/20 Lotus 78 Rebaque cars featuring all possible versions for the 1978 and 1979 cars but the logo "TEAM ATS PARIS" that appears in one of your photos is missing... This is why I need where are these photos from...

Many thanks for your help!

Best regards from a hot city of São Paulo (today we have nearly 30oC!!!).

Sandro

Topic author
JM
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Germany

Post by JM »

Hi Steffen and Alex,
thanks for the help. The pictures are just what I needed.
Will show the pictures of the finished kits at F1M thought it will be a while as I haven't even started.
Jens

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

Hello Sandro,

I have these pictures on my HD for some time now...I can not remember were I found them but I know that this car belongs to a Japanese collector who runs the car occasionaly...It runs in a JPS livery but the ATS sticker is maybe from a local sponsor ??
at least it is not an original Lotus sticker....

PS: I have the MTR Rebaque decalset also....just want some more spare time to start this beautiful car... :cry:

Best greetings from Belgium,
Alex Nahooy.

mtrspeed
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Michel Toni Rost
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet (father)
Brazil

Post by mtrspeed »

Hi!

Attached the details of the complete conversion decal for the 1/20 Lotus 78 cars driven by Hector Rebaque in 1978 and 1979 that I produced some time ago and two photos of the built kits!

Michel
ACE MODELS