MarcoSaupe
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: HHF
Germany

Ferrari 312 T4, MFH, 1/20

Post by MarcoSaupe »

Hi all,

I didn't quite get it finished last year, but the counter for the new year is going up right in the first week, with the MFH kit, of the 1979 Ferrari 312 T4.

It's so far the only MFH kit, where the body is provided with some good old PS parts on a sprue, the rest is made from metal like the other MFH kits. I'd really like to know why this has not continued, especially since the price of the kit is way less than the usual resin/metal kit. The other parts of the kits are as usual with MFH - metal, two sheets of etched parts, some turned metal pieces, and some smaller parts.

This also means, the usual problems: the decals are very brittle. I'd really like to see some improvement there - I have a 917H Hippie, where I'm not sure, how adding the decals would work out... And while the etched parts are as always very nice, I wish, at least the smaller parts on the thinner sprue would be made on foil backing without the connections to the fret, as it's sometimes very easy to accidentally bend the parts when cutting or sanding them. Oh, and even after building some kits that include them, I still have not managed to attach a single one of the muffler springs, I consider this the most impossible task in modeling, I always replace them with pieces of a guitar string.

The rest was fine, except for the cowling which unfortunately does not quite fit, except with pressure - you can only select where you want the gap. I think you'd have to thin the insides of the cowling edges a bit to make it fit better.

Painted with TS8 on Tamiya pink primer (though I'm not sure if it really makes a difference), Mr. Super Clear on top, the details were painted with Aquacolor and Vallejo paints, TS29 for black parts and a mix of Alclad gold and Aluminium on the bare metal. As usual with metal parts I gave them a little washing to make them a bit more realistic.

Hope you like it.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Ferrari 312 T4, MFH, 1/20

Post by JamesB »

Strong envy and admration, to put it simple!
Thanks for sharing!

Schumi
Top Designer
Top Designer
Your Name: Martijn
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: -Ferrari
-Benetton
-Michael Schumacher
-Ayrton Senna
Netherlands

Post by Schumi »

Awesome work Marco! You’ve managed to build a very very clean T4, wonderful pictures of it as well!
Hats off Sir!
🇬🇧

Seema
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Martin Seelos
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Williams, Toleman, Mclaren.
Austria

Post by Seema »

Very good work and beautiful pictures. I still have the Monaco version in stock. So it would be better to use aftermarket decals. Let's see if there's anything.
Seema

SanMarino
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ventisette Rosso
Canada

Post by SanMarino »

Fantastic build and presentation.

Just ordered my first MFH 1/20 F1 - Ferrari 126C2 Zolder version. Hope to do it justice as you have with yours.

Thanks for sharing.

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Post by Dede »

Beautiful build, really nice.
I like the idea of a guitar string to replicate the exhaust spring holder, good tip thanks.
for the kits I come across where the body fights to close or fit properly, I hold the panels together in the corrected postion, then drill a tiny hole, about 0.4mm through both (where it would normally fasten on the real car if possible), then insert a piece of stretched sprue for a snug fit to hold them together in place and trim off, easily removable again of needed.
Dede.

wastgate
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari.
Italy

Post by wastgate »

Great work.

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

So You've painted Sidepod Channels red under the Cowling. I painted orange on my Tamya t4, I've seen 'Em black also. Very interesting. A Job welldone anyways :) .

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Post by Flemming »

Hi

Looking good. The use of injected styrene was a one off due to the difficulty of getting the parts produced. Normally all the resin and WM parts are produced 'in house' at MFH. Injected styrene demand some very heavy machineri that has to be used at someone else. So it took a very long time for this kit to materialise as production runs has to be planned in advance and I suppose that the few units had MFH to wait in a orderly row behind bigger players?

Flemming

Belugawrx
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Belugawrx
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Wolf Williams Lotus
Canada

Post by Belugawrx »

Beautiful build Marco !
Bruce Coy