Jordan2.0
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Belgium

Lotus Martini green

Post by Jordan2.0 »

Guys,

I have a hard time to find the best color available for the Martini Lotus ( 79B and 80).Looking at 50 pictures does not bring me any closer

TS43 Racing green ( to much Khaki )
TS9 British green
Zero 1069 Lotus Martini green ( to bright )
Zero 1189 Williams FW07/8 green ( almost correct ?)

Who build a Green 79B or 80 Lotus and what can you suggest ?

Thank you,
Alex.
Last edited by Jordan2.0 on Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Lotus Martini green

Post by JamesB »

Oh well not having built one but thought it, I´d bet color is lighter than that of the FW07, so...
I know I don´t need to tell you but surely the zero with the clear on, will look darker.
:lol: I looked at 51 pictures, that´s the secret!

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

How we se colour differs a lot from one person to another.
I was looking at what I was going to use and painted some plastic spoons in various green paint and decided for my very early pre yellow stripe and 79 Lotus that I would use the Tamiya Acrylic XF70. But since then the lacquer paints from Tamiya has been released here so I will have a look at that Dark Green 2 and compare it to the acrylic one.
I don't say that this is correct but I find the colour of the green 79 looking very dark (almost black sometimes) looking at pictures

lotus79
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by lotus79 »

Something else here: if you can't find an agreeable color, then my suggestion is to paint the car black first and then the zero 1069. Painting the car black and then green will make the green color appear darker.

Or you can experiment first on plastic sheet using gray and black as background colors to see the differences.

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

Color photos, either as hard copies or electronic versions, cannot be trusted to represent a color correctly. The color on the photo of the same subject can be different depending on the lighting and setting of the camera. That is why you cannot find the color of the car to be the same.

Tamiya and Tameo indicate the green for Lotus 79B with Martini sponsorship is Tamiya TS9.

Tameo indicates Volkswagen green L1T6 or Toyota Green 6K9 for Lotus 80 with Martini sponsorship.

It looks like that even Lotus 79B and Lotus 80 have different greens for Martini sponsorship.

May be the hobby companies have access to the real car and recommend the color for their kit.

If the argument is that the car the hobby companies used is restored and not accurate, then the true color for the car that raced is forever gone unless we can find out what paint was used at the time. Even color chips from paint manufacturer would have change over this long period of time.

Anyway, it is your model and do whatever you feel the best.
C K
Canada

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

Tamiya and other model companies recommend paints that they have in their production already so I would not trust them.
As I believe that Tameo don't make paint I would perhaps be more positive to their suggestions.
I don't trust restored cars and memory fades so can one trust a +30 year memory of someone that saw it live back then?
In the end it is up to the model builder to decide on haw the model should look.

Topic author
Jordan2.0
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Belgium

Post by Jordan2.0 »

Thank you guys !
Alex.