1/12 Renault RE20 (aging)

Finished models...

Topic author
fastbackfreddie
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alain Prost, Mark Webber, Daniel Ricciardo.
Australia

1/12 Renault RE20 (aging)

Post by fastbackfreddie »

Hi guys.
I have been doing some rearranging in my hobby room and this has been moved around in doing so.
It was then that I thought maybe some of you might be interested to see it.

It is the Tamiya 1/12 Renault RE-20, which I built way way back in 1991 (so yeah 32 years ago :lol: )
Its starting to show its age and as such is aging gracefully, which I kind of like anyway...
I was only a young lad then and was a keen model builder, however this was one of the first models that I started to use spray paint on (Tamiya of course). It was the first model where I added extra bits of pieces and went the extra mile on. I can't remember why I decided to add a driver figure, but I am glad I did as you rarely see them added to a 1/12 scale model. What I do remember was that it was a Tamiya 'straight run' motorbike rider, and that there was a lot of cutting and adjusting of the limbs. The helmet design was hand painted. The feet are firmly on the pedals, however I was reluctant to take the body off for more photos as the passage of time has allowed the air hose to the helmet react with the paint and it has welded itself together :lol:

The base idea came later after the model was complete. During the course of construction something went a miss and the rear left wheel was sitting higher and not flat on the ground. I wasn't happy with that, so came up with this solution to hide it. It is loosely based on Mirabeau corner at Monaco. My late father was a craftsman (and also built kits as a kid) and together (well mostly him :D ) we made the base and figured out and solved the complexity of the compounded curves that makes up the four sides.

It worked a treat and achieved its purpose...all wheels firmly on the ground!
For many years space constraints meant that the model was in the cabinet (with wheel of ground 8) ) and the base was in a cupboard. It was only some years ago that they finally came together again. I got an acrylic cover made up for it and it now sits beside my desk in the model room.
Everytime I look at it, it reminds me of dad, for it was he who introduced me to the hobby all those years ago.

Thanks for looking and hope you like it.
Cheers. Tim

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Re: 1/12 Renault RE20 (aging)

Post by Chinamalc »

Thats great, the base has worked very well!
Malc.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Oh wow I’m speechless in front of all the good memories that it brings, how nicely you have exposed it and shared it. Can’t add anything more! 8) :D an the car looks a killer and the base is top class.
Well that’s what modeling is all about for me
Hmmm I think we might make a thread with models that bring us fatherly memories :wink:

Grypham
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Canada

Post by Grypham »

Very nicely done..... and GREAT photo angles!

Bonanza
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Donovan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by Bonanza »

Car still looks really good. Like that you added the driver figure also, he came out great. Thanks for sharing your story and work.

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

Very good.

tubegenius
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

I like it a lot. The decals have endured quite well. Did you clearcoat them? Love the improvised driver figure!

Shiiya
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Shiiya
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams and Piquet
Brazil

Post by Shiiya »

Wow , looks amazing !

Topic author
fastbackfreddie
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alain Prost, Mark Webber, Daniel Ricciardo.
Australia

Post by fastbackfreddie »

Thanks all for your comments guys. Glad you all like and appreciate it. It means a lot.

[/quote]
JamesB wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:33 am ... Hmmm I think we might make a thread with models that bring us fatherly memories :wink:
Thanks for your kind words James :D That sounds like a great idea. Sometimes it turns out that the not so perfect model is the one that has the most meaning for us. It is often the case too that behind the model is a really interesting story. :) It would be great to hear other guys stories..., and even how they got into the hobby in the first place. I could keep on going but that might be for later :lol:
tubegenius wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:29 am I like it a lot. The decals have endured quite well. Did you clearcoat them? Love the improvised driver figure!
Thanks! I am happy you like it. At that point I had only just discovered spray paint let alone the concept of clear coats, so no, the decals are not cleared at all :lol: Makes me think though, was that a common practice back then to be clear coating decals? Apart from some small spots of crows feet, they are still holding up quite well. I don't mind that it shows its age.
Even now I feel like I am the odd one out as I still do not clear coat my decals on the model :lol:. Tried it a couple of times with bad outcomes so decided the risk is just not for me! Sometimes I might clear the decal sheet if I think it might be a bit fragile and suspect, but I don't clear them anymore after they have applied.

Thanks again everyone. Cheers. Tim

Gorf
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Steve
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by Gorf »

Very nice work Tim and I am one that does not clear coat decals unless they were part of the overall paint scheme.I do however wax the finish.
Steve