daves
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: David Sorensen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
United States of America

Re: Cataracts

Post by daves »

I had the surgery a year ago. I am back to modeling. I wear glasses full time to correct close and mid range vision. I also use magnifying glasses for close work. Color perception is much improved.

Dave

Papajohn97
Spectator
Spectator
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Dan Gurney
United States of America

Post by Papajohn97 »

I had the surgery in 2018, improved my life significantly (had 20-1200 vision and wore hard contacts for +40 years). I use 3.25X drug-store readers and feel very little change to my scale modeling vision from before the surgery. Have had YAG laser scare tissue removal in both eyes after 1 and 2 years (one eye per year), no problems.

Topic author
Malcolm
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Malcolm
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by Malcolm »

Thank you very much to everyone who replied - I found your comments most encouraging and they have certainly given me the incentive to 'press on'. I apologise for not replying to each of you individually.

A couple of you mentioned the change in colour perception brought about by the cataract removal - this came as a real surprise to me - I had expected (hoped for) clearer vision, but the new, brighter colours are an amazing benefit - I look at the world around me with a new sense of wonder.

As it happens, just before Christmas I was spraying a GT40, which I had originally intended completing in the 'traditional Gulf light blue and orange.' But the blue looked dreadful to me; so I bought some more paint and it still looked dreadful and so I ended up finishing it in black. Perhaps it was my eyes that were at fault and not the paint!

Having read your replies, I decided to dip my toe into my modelling future with something simple and asked my wife to drive me to the local shops this afternoon and bought the Tamiya Subaru - it's quite a simple kit, but an interesting car for me because I owned an Impreza STi from 2002 to 2005 (I appreciate 'my Subaru was a different model from the one I've just bought - but it was a fantastic car) . I had hoped to be starting either my 1/12 MP4/6 or FW14b around now, for both of which I have full Top Studio sets. I retired earlier this year and these were to be 'retirement projects' - but I'm going to have to re-hone my skillset (to the extent that I ever had a skillset) before I make a start on such ambitious projects.
Subaru.jpg
One thing that has occurred to me is how long I should wait before starting to use my airbrush again - does anyone have any experience of this?

Thank you again.

Malcolm

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:23 pm you mentioned the change in colour perception brought about by the cataract removal - this came as a real surprise to me - I had expected (hoped for) clearer vision, but the new, brighter colours are an amazing benefit - I look at the world around me with a new sense of wonder.
Yes, that´s exactly what I recall from my mom´s case as I reported :D it was quite thrilling and I am really happy for you to feel the same.
Use this awe to fuel motivation :wink:
Malcolm wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:23 pm One thing that has occurred to me is how long I should wait before starting to use my airbrush again - does anyone have any experience of this?
If it´s for the fumes, well consult the surgeon, he´s the one to know :wink: