Malcolm
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Malcolm
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Cataracts

Post by Malcolm »

I'm sorry if this is a bit of an obscure topic ..

However, I've just had cataract surgery on both my eyes, which seems to be progressing as well as hoped.

But before my surgery, I was as short-sighted as can be. The only advantage of that was that I could hold something within a couple of inches of my eye and see it perfectly - possibly not ideal, but that is how I've done things for decades.

With my 'new vision' whilst my distance vision is vastly improved, my close distance vision is virtually non-existent - I can only read with reading glasses on - and have to hold the book at around 12" to read. I picked up a couple of parts from a kit that I was working on yesterday and whilst I can see them, I cannot see it with the same clarity that I could before (at 2" from my eye). I certainly cannot see well enough to sand the parts - for example, there are two bits sticking out from (what I think is a brake cylinder) - one will be the mounting 'stub' and the other will be the excess sprue that I need to sand off.

I'm currently wondering if I'll ever be able to get back to modelling. But perhaps I will adapt my modelling techniques to my 'new eyes' as time goes by.

If anyone has been down this route, I would be pleased to hear from you.

Best wishes
Malcolm

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Re: Cataracts

Post by bossy122 »

I don't have cataracts but my aging eyesight is ****, at best. When I build, I wear my 1.5 readers
AND have to look through my desk magnifying glass. It sucks, but it is what it is: getting old :(

Eagle
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All American Racers
United States of America

Post by Eagle »

Same here, no cataracts [yet] but all my modeling is done through a circular magnifier with a fluorescent light tube, my skills have diminished somewhat anyway, only working on 12th scale and larger projects now.

willikem
Spectator
Spectator
Your Name: William Kemp
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Red Bull
United States of America

Post by willikem »

Recent surgery as well. Please contact me by private message.

f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by f1m »

61nxSbndbVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi Malcolm,

You may need to investigate options now that your eyesight has been altered. Like Eric has already indicated, a magnifying visor may be an option, but I would suggest having a chat with your local optometrist and discuss your requirements as far as modelling is concerned.

You may end up needing multi-focal lenses for modelling purposes.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

ah100m
F2
F2
Your Name: William Schmidt
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Rob Walker Racing
United States of America

Post by ah100m »

My eye doctor gave me two prescriptions for "reading" glasses. One for close-up work, one for normal distance to a book. It's just a question of working distance. When needed I also use my Optivisor over them.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Hi Malcolm, let me take and treat it lightly :wink:
Before anyway, congrats for the thing being fixed :D
And now welcom to the world of the non-myopes! We myopes or short sighted have been amazing other people by the trick you comment (I call it super power), but well you are now a mortal :lol: I suppose you have to do the same that long sighted people have to do. Magnifying lenses, even reading glasses might help you.
I combine myopy and "tired sight" (what you mention, not seeing wellclose objects) and after years of using the object-at-two-inches trick, I decided to switch to progressive glasses, to cover the wasteland between those 2 inches and the foot, aprox, where things start to be sightable again.
I think the same, go to your local glasses shop, they must have efficient people. You´ll work it out, no problem, that´s the main mesage!!! :D :D
And meanwhile, enjoy you long sight newly found glasses free sight, and the realm of colors and light you must have discovered.
I remember my late mom, passed thru the same, she was amazed and overjoyed about what she had been missing.
Take care, BR
James

Gorf
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Steve
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by Gorf »

I had cataract surgery a year ago and my color vision has improved.I had been painting many colors more than a shade off from what they should have been!Many rebuilds in my future.
I have the same problem with seeing things up close .I wear 1.5 on a lanyard and have 2.0 on the bench along with a magnifier like Eric pictured and if that isn't enough I have a lit circular magnifier.
By the time I figure out which lens to use I have forgotten what I was going to do!!:>)

Leftkeys
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Bill
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Ferrari
United States of America

Post by Leftkeys »

Hi, Malcolm. I had my cataract surgery about 18 months ago. I elected to have one lens that gave me great long distance sight and one that allowed me to read without glasses. It worked great until I had to start using reading glasses again. I discussed this with my optometrist and he said that I had “scar tissue” that was disturbing my sight. His “fix” was to laser the eye to break up the membrane scar tissue. That worked pretty well, but now I have some “floaters”. Like the answerers said, it’s very interesting getting old! I sometimes use the magnifying glassed Eric posted.

Good luck, you can work this out!