indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Re: New Rule on Selling Non-Physical Items

Post by indycals »

Icon_Modeler wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:23 pmPersonally I think selling files is one of the dumbest things the creator can do. Why on earth would you want to sell something for a few buck that you spent a ton of time on creating to someone who in turn can resell your file or give it away to his friends. Once you sell the file to anyone you have now lost all control of who uses it and how much it is passed around. Sell your parts!!! Not the files!!!!
I agree. 3d design is far and away the most mentally demanding thing I do and it takes a lot of time. I don't get just giving your hard work away. Case in point my Marmon Wasp. I have hundreds and hundreds of hours into that. And I don't think it's unreasonable to charge $100/hr for design work. You can do that math as to what that file is worth just in terms of design time. Potential salability of parts would add to that value.

Topic author
f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by f1m »

HI,

I was going to do a post on intellectual property, legal and financial liability, and such, but its not worth my time.

You can post in the For Sale section offering any physical item you wish to sell, even if you make it yourself via 3D printing, printing decals, etc.

If you buy a domain name, pay for and set up an online store, take all the legal and financial responsibilities for it, and sell virtual items there such as 3D files, digital photographs, etc, you can post a link to it in the appropriate Topic.

You cannot post in any F1M Forum Topic offers to sell digital items - 3D files, digital photographs, etc.

Period.

That's it.

Done.

Eric

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

FWIW, I figured what you added in your last post was implied in the first. No one here knows what went into a file, and its also very easy for someone to buy a file, throw it at their 3d printer for a week and then start selling it.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Icon_Modeler wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:23 pm
gp-models wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:47 am Still not sure if this is the right way, even those who work out their own stuff are standing under this banner in the first.
I know that even if you use basic datas to rework and convert it into printable files are working a long time on such projects, in the end their work make 80 or more percent of the files in general, so why should they not call it their own work when they did the most work to get to a printable model?
I´m fine with that rule when it comes to copied models where only tiny details have been changed as there are tons of such models around on the internet.
But if someone is using basic datas from a race game and turns everything into a printable model for example, how can you imagine the effort and work that`s behind it when 80% has been done by you? Is it your work or the bascis that make the difference or what is the point to call it your own model?
Surely it is hard for the mods to judge about every single model that is done that way and verify if it`s ok or not, that`s why i would be happy with some rules for that.
You don't sell files on here anyway so what is the trouble?? You sell finished printed parts so this rule has ne effect on you!

Personally I think selling files is one of the dumbest things the creator can do. Why on earth would you want to sell something for a few buck that you spent a ton of time on creating to someone who in turn can resell your file or give it away to his friends. Once you sell the file to anyone you have now lost all control of who uses it and how much it is passed around. Sell your parts!!! Not the files!!!!
I think you missunderstood my question or even pointing. ;)
I know that i don`t sell files and that it does not effect me in the first. It was a generell question.
In the first i agree to the rule, but after the first post it sounds like a generell ban for any such postings to me.
Also i guess everyone knows that this is not a platform for selling files, there are tons on the interent which can be used. When posting links to such platforms which offer such files is allowed, i fully agree to such rule, that was what i wanted to know and called for a rule. Nothing to worry about. ;)
Well to the dumbest thing......... there are many creators which offer their projects for different circumstances then making money of it, even those who do have quiet often the skills and are pretty experienced in their work, means they don`t need that ammount of time like maybe you or myself. Some of them which showed also here their skills do CAD work in a time i only can dream of! So why calling them dumb when doing so??
A lot of people call this the new way of modeling, and to me, those people bring that new way also to people who never thought about it before, to me a good idea finaly cause this is how i started with 3D printing myself.
Take a stand!

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Its just about for sale posts gp-models. It is not about any post of 3d models or non-physical items.

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

gp-models wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:47 am
But if someone is using basic datas from a race game and turns everything into a printable model for example, how can you imagine the effort and work that`s behind it when 80% has been done by you? Is it your work or the bascis that make the difference or what is the point to call it your own model?
You can of course rework a gamemodel and sell copies....it's like stealing a car, repaint it, doing some upgrades and sell it. Fact is that most of the guys selling 3D prints would never (!!!!!!!!!!!) be able to build a model from scratch. The buy models from a database of "steal" gamemodels and rework them. But this has always been done in aftermarket and will always be done. Copy kit parts, rework decalsheets etc. But that is not the point here :)

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

daniel wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:43 pm
gp-models wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:47 am
You can of course rework a gamemodel and sell copies....it's like stealing a car, repaint it, doing some upgrades and sell it. Fact is that most of the guys selling 3D prints would never (!!!!!!!!!!!) be able to build a model from scratch. The buy models from a database of "steal" gamemodels and rework them. But this has always been done in aftermarket and will always be done. Copy kit parts, rework decalsheets etc. But that is not the point here :)
Please re read my postings and don`t run on a specific pointing! As i said, if someone is using copied files and doing some small changes, how did i call that??
I agree that not everyone who is selling files is not able to do it own their own, but i bet that those who can rework basic game files have the skills to do much more then this.
New rule is set, and my question is answered and i`m fine with that.
Take a stand!