WIP: Two Williams FW14Bs (Early & Late Season) with Top Studio & TVF1 details sets

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Sean
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

WIP: Two Williams FW14Bs (Early & Late Season) with Top Studio & TVF1 details sets

Post by seamus »

Evening chaps,

Well, the double FW14B build is well under way. I must admit I have found the filming of the builds to be somewhat of a distraction although I'm beginning to get into the swing of it. Apologies for the quality of the angle of filming in the first episodes, this will improve in future episodes as I have learnt a few things from recommendations on here about Camera angle etc. Having said that - please don't forget - I'm no pro and this ain't an attempt to be become some super big YouTuber, life is way too busy to get bogged down too much with that.

Anyway, onto the build. First up - the Top Studio sets - I mean just wow... they are absolutely incredible, fit, detail, accuracy and ease of application - these sets add so much to the model and I do feel lucky to be able to build two of these thanks to my Model Club friend who asked me to build his for him. Our club is Tangmere Scale Modellers for those who are interested and you will catch us at the big UK show at Telford in November this year. If there is one slight negative it's the instructions which are in places just a little vague. As for the Thunder Valley set, well to be honest I've hardly touched it. I do intend to use the exhausts and radiators as I like the natural metal effect as a starter, however I was a little disappointed with the standard of the white metal parts which seem to be a touch rough in places. I also wish I'd had gone for the Top Studio brake set on my build rather than TVM set as they are so much more detailed. It doesn't help that I can’t find any online resources with instructions for the TVM set either, there is a great looking P/E sheet which unfortunately I have no clue where most of it is supposed to go. Hopefully I'll be able to add more of this in as I progress with the build

The build itself is now at the stage where I can do no more on the engine until it's mounted so I'm now just about to start work on the monocoque, front bulkhead and cockpit. I've not really added any extra details as the TS sets are so comprehensive. I did add some extra detail to the rear brake ducts which could have been any design from 8 that Williams used that season but other than that it’s been a case of following 3 sets of instructions... the Tamiya book and then the two TS engine manuals which differ considerably from the early to late season (predominantly around the position of the injectors).

As with all my detailed builds, I like the mechanicals to have a 'used' look and not out of the factory as it were so throughout I added washes and dry brushing to achieve this. Predominantly I still use Citadel Acrylics along with Tamiya and Vallego, sometimes hand painted as well as through the airbrush.

I should have part 4 up of the build log next week which is still a little way behind these pics. Thanks for the feedback here fellas, it did help greatly.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGDrxp ... T-D5uY2nPg
https://www.facebook.com/TangmereSectorModellers
Attachments
DSC00656.JPG
DSC00655.JPG
DSC00651.JPG
DSC00645.JPG
DSC00643.JPG
DSC00642.JPG
DSC00641.JPG
360099192.jpg
359786262.jpg
Last edited by seamus on Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Re: WIP: Two Williams FW14Bs (Early & Late Season) with Top Studio & TVF1 details sets

Post by Shunter »

It’s a hell of a project Sean. I’ve enjoyed watching your work in the videos and seeing these pics highlights the quality of your work.
Keep it going, looking forward to the next installment.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: WIP: Two Williams FW14Bs (Early & Late Season) with Top Studio & TVF1 details sets

Post by gp-models »

That`s pretty cool, like the video`s! :)
Good job so far, looking forward to your updates!
Take a stand!

woodgp
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: j.wood
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: williams
Canada

Post by woodgp »

hi.. I can send you a instruction pages for the Photo etch , let me know if you want ..cheers
pdf ..I suppose

Topic author
seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Great Britain

Post by seamus »

Thanks chaps, it is a little daunting at times, more so when you’ve got to keep a track of more than one instruction manual but I’ve gotta say I’m thoroughly enjoying it. I’m only concerned that having dipped into the world of 1/12 it might have an adverse effect on building 1/20 & 1/24th. 🙄

Topic author
seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Great Britain

Post by seamus »

woodgp wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:20 am hi.. I can send you a instruction pages for the Photo etch , let me know if you want ..cheers
pdf ..I suppose
That would be amazing, thanks ever so much.

woodgp
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: j.wood
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: williams
Canada

Post by woodgp »

hi.. done posted in new topic .. PM sent

viperdoug
F2
F2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: SENNA
United States of America

Post by viperdoug »

Once I started 1/12th scale it is hard to do 1/20 scale. I am now hooked on MFH kits (ouch $)!!!!!

Topic author
seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Great Britain

Post by seamus »

viperdoug wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:33 pm Once I started 1/12th scale it is hard to do 1/20 scale. I am now hooked on MFH kits (ouch $)!!!!!
This is my saving grace as it were, my price limit doesn't stretch to the kind of money MFH want for 1/12, I have all the Tamiya ones and a couple of others. Some of my 1/20 kits were painful in terms of cost as it is, plus I'm lucky to have far too many so adding a whole new scale to the collection is just not gonna happen.

Although it's interesting to see Meng and Beemax dipping their toes into the 1/12 F1 kit world.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

I wish to see a Beemax kit finaly, the Meng version of MP 4/4 is not realy impressing, hope to see more from Beemax especially while they work with Top Studio together on this model.
But even on the Lotus 99T i wish to see what`s finaly coming up, the pictures i`ve seen so far leave a lot of room for detailing, so i wait till further informations are out and the kits are on the market place.
Take a stand!